Fan belt with U-shaped cross section?

Is a fan belt with a U-shaped cross section “normal” for a Series 1 (4.2)?

The belt that came off the car had C24291 printed on it. Picture of the alternator pulley attached but all 4 pulleys look like this:

Yep: that’s normal.

Hope you have better luck with the repops than I: I never got more than 2000 miles out of them, till they self-destructed.

Is it possible to cut the grooves deeper so one can use regular 12mm belts?

A correct belt, of good quality, is available from SNG for very little $.

Regards,
Ray L.

Trying to modify the original sheaves would result in a loss of <> 50% contact area, not ideal.

I think it’s too wide and too shallow to successfully modify.

Your best bet is just to use the original belt. You can replace the pulleys with V belt ones but that is an expensive exercise.

I’ve had ZERO problems with the SNG belts. I’ve bought dozens of them, both for my own car, and for the 3.8 alternator kits I sold for a while. I’ve just recently replaced my own original after ~8 years of use, and never got a single complaint from any of my customers. I did get one truly awful belt from a well-known west coast supplier years ago - when it got hot, it turned VERY soft, and got VERY slippery.

Lets’ not forget you had those wonderful CJ aluminum pulleys, and perhaps a pulley alignment problem, which, at the time, you blamed for Tweety’s belt-eating problem.

Regards,
Ray L.

This is the pulley that came off the alternator fitted to the car :

This explains half the issues I’m having with this car. Poor choice of alternator is the other half.

With the above pulley now corrected, mounted to another, smaller alternator - with perfect pulley alignment - the car has done a trip over the last weekend with over 1000km (625miles) with not a single hint of trouble and no sign of belt wear. Sad to say, but the owner did not bother to check coolant level, oil level or even the temp gauge on the trip - he just doesn’t…

Still, the car ran happily with the big boys.

1 Like