Fan motor grommets

Hello all, I‘m about to repaint the tripods (right word?) for the fan motors and think I should remove the grommets first. The ones attached are quite stiff and can probably be removed by slicing them through. I also expect adding new ones is an even tougher job. My question; is it best to leave the ones I have on or are new ones easily put in place without too much hassle/fiddling?
Cheers, Chris

Chris;
I would suggest they be removed, slip a small screwdriver under a edge and lift the edge up and push it towards the hole. This may remove the grommet intact, if not they can be ordered.

Regards, joel.

Once the paint cures they are pretty easy to work into the holes. Having the brackets warm where the grommets go helps keep the grommets pliable during the installation process.

Two answers within a few minutes. This place is incredible. Thanks a lot, guys! I‘ll remove them and order new ones.

New ones slip in pretty easy. These are flattened out and hardened over the years which makes them hard to get out. New ones just need a bit of finagling to compress and nudge in. Worst case a little soapy water will get them through.

1 Like

Get new ones. 50 year old rubber is not rubber anymore.

New grommets arrived today. First I ‘massaged’ them (for lack of a better word right now) between my fingers and my thumb to make them more pliable. Fitting them afterwards was a piece of cake