Fan Motor Removal

There is also an unknown physical force that makes parts disappear even when all possible locations are searched. Top research scientists believe it is closely related to the force that makes socks disappear in a dryer. I personally believe it is also what Einstein was searching for in his quest for a unified field theory.

1 Like

Once I got the motor out, I quickly figured out why I wasn’t able to pull the shaft through the cage. In my initial, misguided, effort to pull the cage off, I tried tapping the top of the shaft down while I pulled up on the cage. My wife has pointed out before that what I refer to as, ‘tapping’, most normal people would refer to as, ‘pounding’. Anyway, the top of the shaft was slightly flared out a bit, there were few barbs protruding, blocking it from pulling through. I filed those off, and it pulled right through. Next time I think about using a hammer for anything on my car, I think I’ll check with my wife to see if it looks like a good idea to her…

What’s this odd green cylinder involved in the power to the motor? Would the factory have soldered these green wires to the connectors? Will I need to use this device with the new SNG motor?

Ed

That is a resistor that enable the two speeds for the blower. Yep, soldered. Low speed runs through the resistor. High speed bypasses the resistor…

The SNG blower motor comes with a new resistor wired in with the correct color wires for you to reassemble the fan, don’t forget to buy the new cage too.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 10.22.55 PM

Ed you know theres a screw/key holding the squirrel wheel to the shaft :slight_smile: gtjoey

My original fan squeaked quite a bit and was slow . After pulling out of the car a little cleaning and strategic light lubrication and is now smooth and quiet on both speeds for years now. Not much volume but with the tiny cabin vents I do not expect much from it anyway. I imagine a more modern fan could do better but with as little as I use that fan I did not see much point in changing things on my car.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

OMG, have I been imprecise. I now see that, in my limited work on my car so far, I have already come across flat washers, split lock washers, internal toothed washers, cup washers, and probably fender washers. I am sure the differences are not gratuitous, so I clearly need to start paying better attention to the functions of each.

This is the object I lazily referred to as a lock washer on Wednesday. I don’t even see it shown on any of the types of washers.

The picture doesn’t show it, but it’s not flat, it has a minor arch. Probably well understood to most, but it’s fascinating to me that every day, I keep realizing how much more I have to learn. That’s what keeps us going.

That appears to be one of those kind of retaining washers you find on seatbelt bolts.

Ed - What do you end up doing to be able to remove it? Did you undo any or all of the heater box mounting points?

I removed just the two lower bolts mounting the heater box to the firewall, loosened the top 2 bolts, but did not remove them, and removed the 2 bolts in the bracket connected to the frame rail, and that was enough to let me lift the heater box just enough to get the motor + fan out.

3 Likes