Fit door windows ots

I am in need of all tutorials/advice on refitting door windows. I didn’t remove them and I am unsure as to seals needed and “felt”…which sng website says there are different items for different applications.

Terry’s lists U shaped felt and strip felt. Which do I need?

Not sure about the U felt…it seems to be standard stuff…However one thing to think about at this stage is the glass fit to the top…there are many adjustments that can be made…dont assume it will fit the top…

so…you think I can’t put them in without the top in place?

Based on my experience you might consider getting the top and seals in place and then work on fitting the glass,for sure dont close up the door panel before you fit the glass against the top…

2 Likes

Bill I use the series 3 window felts ….they are essentially preformed and fit like a glove ……felt strip is a hard way to go and gluing it in is a pain……. In relation to the seals the one between the front edge and the windscreen upright is easy to fit in my experience…… the other seals can be fitted when you have the hood frame in place ……as these need to be adjusted on the fly using the adjustments on the hood frame to get best fit…….if you are not replacing the hood fabrics and seals then just reseat them onto the glass at the top and rear…… with the hood catches closed…… the window frame can go fore and aft up and down and in and out ……all independent of the door itself which should be fitted and adjusted first for gaps seals etc

1 Like

See my post

does the leading edge seal on the window frame go all the way down into the door. The remnants are short but the replacements are long

Yes I believe so if you look T the door you will see a “split” where it goes into top of door

Danny,
Do you put either the inner and outer (waist seals) seals in place before the glass, or do you put the glass in first and seals later?

As you can tell this is a process of " a little here and a little there" until you are happy with the fit…FYI…i had to shim out the hood seals with rubber strips to make them fit the glass better,still not perfect…and dont forget to trial open and close the door with the glass up as you go along…have fun!

2 Likes

uh oh.

This is the rear side of the door window frame. It’s awfully wide. What am I missing that goes in here to snug the window glass?

does this seal go all the way from the top of the window frame to the bottom of the frame inside the door? Because I have more than enough to reach all that way in each package.

Ok so here …the outside rubber needs to be in place before the glass IIRC the inner is attached to the door capping which goes on when you attach the door prior to the door cards.

I can’t see anything missing other than the material that goes into the glass channel ie the “felt” which I referred to earlier …I prefer the series 3 stuff as opposed to the strip of felt …see my previous post

Yes the front seal goes into the cavity a bit and starts at the top

Keep the questions coming Bill…your getting there!

The glass support channel (part 16 below) rides inside the glass frame on one side. This is an entirely separate piece that the glass fits into. Then the glass/channel assembly is fitted into the window frame. Window channel felt supports the glass on the other side (leading edge.)

Dave

1 Like

so, only a little ways then? I got two pieces that are like, 30 in long each.

Yeah…! that little brass thing? that is attached to my glass? So , no felt in the window channel at the REAR? getting closer.

Correct and I’ve never seen it go right down ….maybe they gave you an extra and it was meant to halved

Yes, the brass part of the glass support channel rides in the back rail of the window frame. No felt, just some grease to help it slide.

Dave

1 Like

Oh crap.
I put the window in the track, wound it down and this square thing fell out. The limit screw threads into it maybe, no mention of this in the manual.
Could it possibly fit into the slide? I can’t refit it now, do I have to slide it in the channel from the unbent end of the channel? I didn’t notice it when I took out the limit screw.
I hope I don’t have to take out the window again to slide this into the side of the track that faces inside?

OK,
like insanity, I pulled the frame again tried installing the stop and got right back to the same place. Finally figured out you can snap the square thing in place if you move it over as far to the right as you can and fish it through the bottom opening.

But, now when I roll the window all the way down it binds on some thing and wont go up again. I give it a pry and it goes thunk and goes up but I can’t see what it is.