Fitting XK 150 rear screen chrome beading

Morning All,one of my clients is trying to fit the rear screen chromes to their XK 150 and is having a problem - it seems that the screen rubber I supplied ( from COH Baines ) only has a groove at the bottom to take the chrome BUT there is not one at the top of the rubber . Anybody tried this and does one just fit the rubber at the bottom and inject sealant behind the chrome strip and hold it in place with tape till the sealant dries,which should then hold it in place ?

Rgds
Gerald

ThatĹ› what I have on my car. Two lips would have narrowed the visible chrome. Make sure that the chrome has exactly the correct shape before fitting with glue. Easily bent to fit when loose, but wont stay in place if the curvature is insufficient

not sure if this helps. its the rubber I got from guy broad. the trim does fit as Peder explained

Hi Phil…ar anyone else that can help…just raising this old post…ready to refit a new rear screen seal…the seal only has one lip to hold the chrome trim…and will probably need adhesive to fix it down…but do you then run a bead of sealant around the entire outside of the chrome where it meets the body…i cant see in the first of Phils photos above…a close up would be great…im particularly concerned with the large rounded corner which have a much larger gap as see in Phils photo above…thanks…Steve

I no longer have the car Steve so can’t send a better photo. I only used sealer in the rubber to body grove then used sealer in the glass to seal grove, using a normal sealant gun. I only used adhesive where the trim just won’t hold itself in place which was just about everywhere on the from screen, less so on the rear.

Here’s my mk9

Great,thanks…a complete bead around the outside…

Yes, a complete bead around the outside. I used the product shown in the picture, as I had it in stock. This can be smoothed with white spirit before it dries. I bought it from Screwfix for about a tenner. I could have used simple black silicone.
I raked out some of the original stuff as it was cracked and falling out. This was old Bostik, bitumen based, which they used years ago. There is quite a big gap between the rubber and the aperture.
The Haynes book, says fill the gap, but don’t put in too much that it contaminates the headlining.

1 Like

Any suggestions where to get xk150 rear windscreen chrome, I don’t fancy paying a grand, anything cheaper ?