Flasher - directional-hazard 1968 xke 2+2

Thanks. I will pass it on to the mechanic.

He said, after blowing fuses and then the flasher itself (2x) the draw is 3 amps. The unit worked for decades the stopped. I was told there were two flashers. A round replacement and one other. Is it possible that the original withstood 3 amps. The reason I mention it is that mechanics think my horn is on the steering wheel. It’s not. It’s on the directional stick

Lowell

Maybe this was explained before (I didn’t go back an reread) but the flasher for the hazards is on the firewall behind the pull-down center panel:

The flasher for the turn signals is typically a round can located upper left in the drivers footwell.

I think you need a new mechanic.
first off, if you are using standard 1157 and 1156 bulbs in all four corners, they draw almost 2 amps EACH, the original style flasher units and most mechanical modern ones are simple relays, the points are rated at probably a conservative 10 and in most cases 20 amps.
IF you replaced the standard style FL5 flasher with a modern one, without knowing what you/they put in there I cant tell you why it blows up. If you are blowing fuses you have a short in the wiring someplace.

the round flasher you mention is up above your left knee, originally a lucas FL5. the Square flasher is in the dash behind the gauges and that is the 4 way flasher. a Signal Stat 180.

The horn should have nothing to do with the flashers working or not, even if your mechanic cant grasp that its on the signal stalk.

retrieve your car before they do more harm than good.

I am talking about the directional flasher. I handled the hazard flasher and it works. I replaced the directional flasher with the round unit and I killed it. I held the directional down and blew the fuse. On this forum I was told that their were two flashers. The original and the replacement. I bought the replacement (round). The draw of the bulbs is interesting. I will pass it on. I do not know the draw of the flasher old or new. I live in great neck. This is a new mechanic. If anyone can make a recommendation I am all ears The old ones changed jobs and the other shop had other problems. I had the gas tank cleaned by another and he was way to expensive. I will up date when the problem is solved. If anyone knows the amps of the original flasher I would like to know, Thank you for the timely response. I hope you enjoy the car as much as I do

Lowell

I just wonder if there is the possibility that the replacement unit might have been for LED bulbs? Just throwing it out there, not sure what amps they would take but I know the LED’s draw very little.

Lowell.

the problem isnt your flasher unit. holding down the turn signal arm will not blow it up or blow fuses. something else is wrong. turn signal bulbs draw about 21 watts each. here is a picture of an original FL5 rated at 42 watts. any of the standard cheap 3 pin flashers will work. try a Napa EL-13.

and since you havent said wether or not you have standard bulbs or LEDS or exactly what flasher burned up I can only speculate. a standard flasher just wont flash if you have LEDS, but an LED flasher will burn up if you dont have LEDS. search for my posts on LED FLASHERS and read it. the link is in one of my earlier replies

I am sorry but I dont know what else to tell you.

Have you actually replaced the flasher? If so, and simply picked one up at a parts store, it could very well be for a newer vehicle. Units for newer cars have a different pin arrangement. Power is fed into a different pin, although they fit into the same socket

the response is tremendous. Tomorrow P.M. is the answer or the car comes home with me. It is a 1968 1.5 2+2. no upgrades originally fawn now red no led light. about 40k original miles I have owned it for 24 years Had the tank cleaned out last yea. The air conditioner this year

Lowell B. Davis

1 Like

is anyone familiar with the lucas sfb flasher unit for an 1968 xke