Flashers not flashing... sometimes

Just installed the bonnet after full car rebuild, during which I did not change anything in the wiring.
Now flashers flash on one side, [but not always] but stop flashing and go to steady dim [every time] when I flip the headlight switch [headlights still not installed.]

Wiring diagrams are not my forte. Anyone out there who can help troubleshoot this thing?
Many thanks.

I’ve always found that my lighting problems are due to poor earthing. That’s where I’d start.

ALL bonnet-mounted lights go off when bonnet is open - i.e. seems like the only grounding is through the positioning latches/receptacles. Weird. Did I miss a grounding wire to the bonnet someplace?

That would be my call, check all the earth points from the lights, make sure there isn’t a layer of paint between the earth tabs and the bonnet

Robin and Chris - you nailed it.
With a little fiddling and scraping, all lights go on as intended.
But interestingly when the bonnet is OPEN there is clearly a lack of electrical connection, but it is solved by running a short wire from bonnet to body. The question is, is there a separate grounding strap to “earth” the bonnet? Did I miss a wire?

NB- the spring/arms are not installed yet - so maybe they will provide the grounding?

Regardless whether there is supposed to be one I would fit one anyway.

1 Like

Pin #1 of the 8-pin bonnet plug is supposed to be ground. That said, I also fitted a separate wire on the passenger side.

Check out the electrical troubleshooting resource thread, click on the hyperlink title to take you to the Yoiutube site.

Thank you Art. That is very helpful.

Robin and David - what sort of extra grounding did you create for the bonnet?

I just ran a wire from a bolt on the bonnet close to the passenger side hinge to a bolt on the picture frame. This photo shows the wire I found in place when I bought the car before I refurbished everything ahead of the firewall. It’s not original, but serves the purpose.

Excellent. I’ll make something similar.

It might be a good idea to check all of the grounds in your freshly painted E to confirm good connections. A coating of dielectric grease on each also recommended. Pay particular attention to the main ground strap connections to accommodate the draw of the starter - if inadequate the current will seek ground through all the other, much smaller gauge ground wires in the harness and melt their insulation.

I don’t own an ‘E’ only a couple of lowly ‘S’s a S11 and XJR so only supplying thoughts and suggestions