Foose Design Jaguar E-Type Roadster - Update

In his defense, he supposedly used an “accomplice” to help guide the build, but about 8 times out of 10, you’d sort go “oh boy” as soon as the accomplice started talking.

I always used to tell my wife “if I ever end up on this show, just make sure my friend Lloyd is the accomplice, ok?!”

1 Like

… you mean, Schmedley?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The workmanship is simply mystifying and that car is gorgeous! It’s very easy to find little faults in someone else’s work. The truly creative have learned not to feel the stones thrown at them. Their joy comes from the creation, not from the reviews. A tip of Hatlo Hat to that Foose guy.
Phillip

I think that would depend on the age of the person doing the side-by-side comparison.

Maybe he just cashed-in on a Foose “original”.

From his comments, it was very clear that the style of the van wasn’t his “thing”, and someone else needed it more than he did.

1 Like

I really felt like the Lotus Europa guy didn’t like the result either. He seemed to struggle to put on a happy face.

Given my knowledge of them… I understand.

:grimacing:

I think it would more depend on whether the driver plans on driving in the rain/snow or in the hot sun.

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

Spectacular workmanship. He says early on in the video the tail light arrangement isn’t confirmed. It’s reminiscent of a late 50’s corvette, and doesn’t flow into the body well imho. The headlight treatment looks interesting, with its narrow trim - looks like it’s being formed out of brass for later chrome plating.

No doubt Chip Foose is a talented guy, but have you ever seen him sling bondo on the show Overhaulin. Gives one pause to say the least.

No, haven’t seen that show. Will look for it. Sure doesn’t seem to use any filler at all in the above video.

Are you talking about the skim of bondo they put all over the car to smooth it out before painting? If so, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. That’s the extra effort needed to get a show finish.

I’ve never seen them put thick bondo on any of the car shows. Instead, they are usually the ones finding that mess when they tear down the cars.

Well I for one want Jaguar tail lights. Maybe even just ones that sorta look like Jaguar tail lights. Under the bumper, over the bumper… Horizontal. Why the Vette look? (to go with the Vette engine?)

I like Foose. His Lotus Europa custom was an improvement (Porsche bits added). The 356 Porsche with custom rear split window was not an improvement. Same goes for this Jaguar. But I get it.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve never seen him use an excessive amount of filler.

I used to cringe when I saw people skim coat an entire car, but a friend of mine who does superb restoration work changed my opinion on this. His comment was basically that if you want the finish to be perfect, you have to apply SOMETHING over the metal. For some reason, nobody squawks when guys spray 8 coats of super high-build primer, but a skim-coat if filler is far more stable over time. If it’s done properly, it only ends up a few thou thick, and 98% of it ends up on the floor.

As with anything else, it can be abused and done poorly, but I’ve never seen Foose abuse the use of filler.

Boring. Foose is a piker compared to what this forum member is doing in his garage. Check out the complete series of installments. Amazing.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,64654

modjag

2 Likes

You may not like him, but to call him a “piker?”

Really.

Yep, applying his skills to the V12 would have left more of the HEART in the BEAST

1 Like

Agreed, but this is a “hot rod,” bearing some resemblance to a Jaguar.

All’s fair, in that war!

I agree with what’s been said about Chip Foose’s talent. Flipping the louvers is genius !
In the beginning I liked what he was doing to the E, but whoever the customer is, he’s simply taken this build too far from the elegant lines of the E. Especially the bumpers and grill look chunky and amateurish.

1 Like