Footwell ventilator question

I’m in the process of restoring the footwell vent boxes on my '53 fhc, and have found little information about finishing details on the web or in references. Nearly all photos are with the ventilators closed. Like a previous posting mentioned, mine didn’t seem to get much paint from the factory. I’m thinking that these will be body color. Are the brass screens also body color? Thanks

Ron:

Yes, the vent boxes including the mesh were body colour. However, when I discovered that the mesh was brass I cleaned the paint off and left them. Sort of like the brass plate on the front of the radiator, should be painted black, but brass looks so much prettier.

Chris.

Thanks, Chris. Yes, my radiator plate is also incorrect - I might do the same!

yep…tho not originally correct…I like the brass…cleaned it, left it, like it.

they were originally attached with 2 cheese head self tappers 4 gauge whilst car in bare metal and the entire car spraypainted.
Yes they do look good in brass or chrome plated

plate on radiator also definitely attached to radiator and them radiator painted. These plate have the serial number of the radiator and numbers go from approx. 1 -13,000 so easy to tell if radiator not from a particular car. early 140 rads also had a plate and later 140 rads and 150 rads were stamped with serial number