For those who paint their own cars - a thought

It’s a simple matter of masking over the topside of the gap, Bill. Done before the outside paint application and installation of the chrome bead.

doesn’t that Schutz get all in the seam? Was it a problem to push the Chrome and the clips through afterwards?

No problem, Bill. Just shoot the stuff carefully so it doesn’t fill the seam. I suppose you could always stick some cardstock in the space and pull it out before the stuff sets up.

1 Like

Sir Nick,
Is this the same stuff as the bed-liner material that you can brush or spray? If so, I am always afraid that this material could trap moister between the liner and the bare metal and create a bad rust problem.
Thank you,
Phillip
Thanks,

Best to use a brand name “chip guard”. A serious caution:

If you use ppg lfXX you must spray in ‘the window’, as chip guard won’t stick to cured epoxy primer!

1 Like

Schutz is different from bedliner. Regardless, what you shoot onto the underside, whether it’s this stuff or colour directly over epoxy primer (I shoot epoxy first then schutz then colour in close sequence - the epoxy window is supposed to be seven days but sooner is better) the bare metal substrate must be dry, clean and etched for best adhesion. The only time you will get corrosion under a topcoat is when the prep work wasn’t up to snuff.

1 Like