Front Crankshaft Seal Replacement

If you scroll down to Glen Jarboe’s post in the old thread attached below, you will find a discussion regarding serious leaks resulting from ill fitting Teflon front seals (3.8 and 4.2 engines). Perhaps the seals are now specific to the E-type engines, but back then the outer edge was too thick to fit properly in the seal cavity, so on installation of the oil pan they distorted such that there were visible gaps around the crankshaft. (They would not always seek center when compressed upon oil pan installation). Another E-type owner in the DFW area made two attempts with the engine in the vehicle and both leaked badly. Both he and Glen gave up and installed the standard seal. My experience installing the seal with the engine on a stand was that the outer radius had to be carefully trimmed with a Dremel sanding drum so that it would fit properly in the recess. The one in my car does not leak, but I doubt I would have been successful trying to get a good fit with the engine in the car. As it was, I trial fitted the oil pan/seal several times to get it just right. Anyway, past experience is that the seal may or may not self center without fettling the outer edge. The photos from Glen’s experiences are in the old archives…there were visible gaps around the crank.

[E-Type] New teflon front seal

1 Like