Front end suspension pictures lots of work

IMG_20180615_153738IMG_20180615_143132IMG_20180613_14270IMG_20180615_123853|375x5005IMG_20180609_184644IMG_20180526_143108IMG_20180604_104307IMG_20180526_143114IMG_20180525_181IMG_20180526_143108|666x500046IMG_20180525_113817

2 Likes

One thing I forget to do was put away bar in first. What a twat. I said to myself but luckily I took out the two big bolts to subframe . That was enough to feed swaybar into place. I was well pleased.

Lovely job - quite jealous!

Any tips on getting the lower wishbone fulcrum pins out? - I have to do mine this winter.

Frankie

I’ve never had a front sub frame where the lower A arm bolts weren’t siezed in solid.
I use a sawzall and cut the arm off, then lots of heat to drift out the remainder stuck in the frame. New bolt are available. If Jag had only spent 5 cents on a little lube.

Good luck,

Rob

Thanks frankie. Soak them in something for 2/days beforehand. Has i did but I had to cut them out. Use a drift. Do not try to bash them out with a sledge hammer and flatten the shafts otherwise you won’t get them out of the. Sub frame.

Robert i totally agree. I used copper grease on mine.

When I did my XJS I literally “hung” on an extension bar and socket attached to the inner bolt head whilst my glamourous assistant beat the outer end with a 4lb lump hammer and drift. The combination of torque, shock vibration and releasing fluid did the trick, but the Series 1 has had another 20 years of rusting together and may need rather more persuasion. We shall see………………

Oh joy!

Frankie

Great Pictures. I am currently in the process of doing the same thing on a Series 1. My sub frame is still in the car. I used the same process to remove the front springs and everything went well.

The passenger side lower A-Arm (Fulcrum bolts) came out easily with some penetrating oil and light love taps. The Drivers side will not budge.

Marc same problem with mine one side stuck. Cut it at underside busy then you can put more pendant when washed removed. You can get fulcrum bolts.With nylon nuts xk s unlimited 26dollars each. Good luck on your project. If you buy lower ball new style. You will have to cut out old retainer. Those are cheaper at BPNW.com they have lower bushes and upper and lower ball joints. Remember when you take out upper ball joints put shims back where they come from. Also on the upper wishbone bushings there are two bolts that hold it to subframe behind there you will see some small shims also. One side on mine had and other Airdrie not.

I just enquired of SNG regarding these bolts - advice back was that they are no longer available. Might have to have them made in future? Paul

Paul you can get the fulcrum bolts here in usa. You can go online to xks.com they ship international 28 is dollars and come with nuts.

Thanks for comments lads.

Hey thanks. I got them today from my friendly Jaguar wrecker - he had them made in Great Britain and NOS. They were pricey but still a bit cheaper than importing from the USA: shipping = US$72.94 (international economy) to Sydney for the fulcrum bolts and nuts (that’s AUD$98.50 today). Paul

Wow. Super…jealous.

Paul good thing you found some locally that’s a bit pricey on shipping.