Front subframe and steering

Hello, I am wanting to know if the front subframe is the same on the series 1 & 2 XJ6, especially where the power steering rack mounts, looking at a rack & pinion conversion for MK2 and need to source a subframe to salvage the brackets, regards Paul.

Paul,

the front crossmember remained unchanged C.27678 for SI and SII.

The power steering rack changed along the production of SII from Adwest to Alford and Alder. The only pics of brackets I can find are for SI

and for SII (early type)

and SII (later)

Cool project! A friend installed an electric power assist to his Mk II 3.4 with very good success.

Just in case - if you happen to run across a late XJS with sportspack equipment, you might get hold of a ZF rack which seems to interchange with XJ racks with comparable little modifications (lower steering column) and is tons better than the standard XJ racks which have a tendency to leak after a couple of years.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks for the replay Jochen and the info, greatly appreciated, I will do some more digging to see what’s available now I have some part numbers to work with, regards Paul.

It might be easier to make them from sheet metal if all you need is the brackets? Unless you want the entire subframe which I can’t think of a way how that’d work without a lot of changes.
On Jochens drawings you can see the thin brackets that go INTO the brackets that are welded(?) to the subframe. I have those waiting on the shelf as I fitted poly bushes and cannot use a hammer for a few months and they’re hard to get in. Maybe these were an assembly aid or so. I‘d give you dimensions but can’t you fit the rack and tailor the brackets to what you need?
The S3 rack at least looks identical (regarding mounts) and the XJS must be, too, if the rack fits which I have also heard, besides that I also heard that they’re better.
David

Hi David,

Yes I think we have come to the same conclusion regarding subframe idea, we decided scrap the idea of sourcing a subframe, we have seen a couple that are expensive and miles away, we then have to cut them out as that is the only bit we need, then go about modifying them to suit, so we have decided to fabricate them from scratch, we have seen some pictures online of one’s available in kits and have got now a rough ideal so will be a matter of making a few templates until we find a happy medium, thanks again, regards Paul.