Fuel Gauge : Never moves, light always on

(David Bruce) #1

New to the Forum -
XK150 Fuel Gauge never moves, light always on.
I have searched the archives and cannot find anything, although I have seen this problem before.
I would love to hear any advise
Thanks in anticipation.
David

(DaveXK) #2

Could be that the in-tank float is full of fuel, so sunk down to the bottom of the tank. New sending units with new floats are readily available.

(Eric Capron) #3

The fuel gauge sender rheostat and the low fuel light indication are on entirely separate circuits. The light is operated by a simple switch in the sender when the float gets to almost the bottom of the tank and the symptoms described point to the float being permanently at the bottom of the tank.

DaveXK’s suggestion is by far the most likely explanation although there are other possibilities. The sender is fixed with six 3BA screws. It’s not a big job to pop it out of the tank and see if the float is perforated. If all was well before the fault occurred I would try to repair/replace just the float. New senders are notoriously unreliable.

Don’t forget to have a new gasket to hand.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

(Rob Reilly) #4

Are the two wires to the sending unit connected to the correct terminals?

(Monte) #5

“never moves”. from where, empty or full?

Fuel Gauge Testing

https://www.fillingstation.com/articles/fuelgaugetesting.htm

BTW, I just had my dead 120 fuel gauge repaired for $130, West Valley Instruments in CA. Good prices, fast service.