Fuel injector and rail replacement parts

Thank you Terry!

I forgot this is a return system… Great testing procedure. Thank you.

I’m not having a fuel problem, I figured since I’m replacing a leaky seal, I might as well test the injectors, make sure the fuel patter is good and consistent fuel being released from each injector.

Great idea!

I’d fit a container with petrol, plum one side with air (to pressurize the container), the other side with a tube in the petrol, running up to a barbed fitting, then out the jar to hose where the injector is connected.

Check the fuel pressure out of the from the car, match it to the compressor regulator.

Then the battery and momentary switcharoo.

I like your test rig. It’s real world.

Thank you again!

Mark

Hello Mark - my testing method suggestion is a result of what I had done to test the 5 injectors on my 1983 Audi 5000 Turbo a few years back - this testing would at least help you to confirm a good spray pattern and also approximately equal flow amounts if you time the spraying action - not an exact performance test but close (if you are able to set up and test satisfactorily, maybe you can video the test so it will help others - I don’t have the provisions to do this) - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 5/1/2020 0214hrs. EDT USA

I plan on videoing the whole process and post on my YouTube channel Jag Mods. I’ve had a request, and I have an injector that’s leaking and a spare Series III XK6 so I figured I’d pull the rail and the injectors and give them a proper test.

Thank you for the great idea for the testing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hello Mark - am curious to see the results of your testing - when working on a 1977 V12 sedan, that had not been turned on for many years (according to the original, and still present, owner), I found no injector clicking - assumed they were stuck due to old gasoline residue - with the vehicle battery disconnected, and the injectors still in place in the vehicle, I used another battery source to activate each injector individually, until I could hear the injector finally clicking - this did get the vehicle to start and run - I did change the spark plugs and the fuel filters (after siphoning out the old fuel from both tanks) - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 5/1/2020 0311hrs. EDT USA

In principle you can simplify the set-up, Tex - testing one injector at time, and still compare…

Or you can do the testing in-car; detaching the injectors from the inlet manifold and using in-car resources. However, playing with petrol inside the engine compartment requires some nous…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hello Frank - I agree with you Frank, concerning testing inside the engine compartment, that may well be an unsafe condition - the bench test would be safer and also allow a visual comparison of the injectors’ output - this method would also help verify the holding pressure of the regulator, if needed, by a gauge being connected at the fuel rail to indicate the initial fuel pressure when activating the vehicle key - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - 5/1/2020 0752hrs. EDT USA