Fuel pump relay xj3.4 location

Good evening . as a newbie to owning a jag i wonder if anyone can help.
I am trying to locate the fuel pump relay on my 1994 xj6 3.4 carb model with twin
submerged pumps in both rear wings. i have looked in the boot under the bonnet with no luck. Colour ,location etc would be appreciated.

Keith,

1994 XJ6 3.4 carb model?

Paul

Hi Paul.
It is indeed A 1994 xj6 3.4 carb model.
Keith

Keith,
Your 1994 XJ6 is newer and completely different than the Series I, II, and III XJ6s and XJ12s discussed on this list. I thought that you might have meant a 1974 and typed 1994 in error.

Your car is discussed on the Jag- Lovers XJ40 list. XJ40 was the internal Jaguar project name for the new XJ6 introduced in the late 1980s and is used to differentiate it from the earlier models.

Paul

Hi Paul .
Sorry just re read my post it is a series 111 1984 not 94 as I suggested. Sorry to be a pain.
Keith

You are not, Keith…:slight_smile:

See no reason why the carb fuel relay should not be where it is on other SIIIs - topside on the bulkhead…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Happy new year Frank.
The only relays I can see on the bulk head are a round red one and 1 next to it that is metal topped with around 6 to 8 wires from it . . Is that it ?
Keith

Carbed 1984 SIII ?
I thought they were all injected by that time…

Morning Aristides1.
This one is definitely registered new in 84 and carbs from new .

Mebbe some pictures might help us figure out what it is and offer assistance or where to find the proper schematic .

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Carl

Keith,
My hard copy of the Jaguar Series III XJ6 Parts Catalogue has a drawing for the 3.4L starter and fuel cut-off relays that shows that the Fuel Cut Off Relay (DAC1028) is located on the firewall as Frank suggested. The Starter Relay (C.36611) has a rectangular metalk cover and on the same metal bracket to the right is the Fuel Cut Off Relay.

Most of the XJ6s discussed on this list are 4.2L cars that were equipped with fuel injection when new. I just looked through my Parts Catalogue and found the carburetor pages, so they were clearly offered new, but I have never seen a Series III XJ6 equipped with carburetors myself. Where in the world do you live?

Paul

Hi Paul.

Thank you again for the reply, i am living in the uk. i will get the cover off the car tomorrow and take some photos of the car and of the fire wall with the relays on if thats ok. It might well throw some more light on the situation. I appreciate you taking the time to search your catalogues for me.

Keith

Keith,
You are quite welcome.

I think that your pictures will be helpful especially since your carburetor equipped 1984 Series III XJ6 is different from the fuel injection equipped cars usually discussed here. For instance, not only is the DAC1028 Fuel Cut Off Relay not on a bracket in that location in our XJ6s, there are two different relays there as well as a Diode Pack and a different bracket used in our cars.

Paul

hi Paul.
I will sort the pictures tomorrow for sure.

Kind regards

Keith

As Paul says; it is likely the fuel cut-off relay, Keith…

But a 1984 4,2 with carbs is a rare bird indeed - are you sure this is not a 3,4? Which did have carbs…

I think we should know why you are asking about the fuel pump relay - what seems to be the problem…

Frank

Frank as per the title its a 3.4

Hi Frank.
Thank you for your reply.
It is not a 4.2 as you suggest , paul mentioned 4.2 as extra info. Mine is a 3.4 as per my posts. The reason i am asking is that it is a starting point as both pumps have ceased working.
I have only had the car for 2 weeks and took it on as a non runner due to pumps not working.
With this in mind i wanted to start with the relay before clambering under it and checking supplies to the pumps.
Kind regards
Keith

The fuel safety relay includes two safety features, Keith…

The pumps will not run if the inertia switch (left side A-pillar). And the pumps will not run with ign ‘on’ unless the engine is running - or cranking. An oil pressure switch at the engine allows the relay to operate only with oil pressure present - in ‘crank’ this safety feature is bypassed…

With ignition ‘on’ check for power on white wires - if no power; check and reset inertia switch…

It is supposed to be two submerged pumps, unlikely that both have failed. To check relay operation; place gear lever in ‘D’ and turn key to ‘crank’ - the starter will not engage, but you should hear a pump running. Check this for both ‘right’ and ‘left’ tank selected…

These preliminary tests are necessary to eliminate factors other than a plain relay fault…

Sorry for the ‘3,4’ confusion; you plainly stated so - I just had a senior moment…:slight_smile:

Frank

Hi Frank.

Exactly my thoughts that both pumps collapse at the same time.
I will check as you suggest and come back asap. sorry no pics ,but just not had the time to uncover
the car and take any. Thank you for the info,that is a great help.

Keith

Hi Frank.
I thought i would update on the fuel pump issue that i had on my xj6 3.4 going back to January this year.

After some great help on the forum, i decided to go all out and sort it 100%. Prior to me owning the car it had been into a garage here in Cardiff who really ripped off the previous owner. They had removed both immersed pumps, fitted a secondary pump and really mess with the car. It now has 2 new fuel pumps. I then found that i still had no fuel pumps running, so with your help Frank and some logic thinking i pinned out the wiring and found it was all good. Low and behold the issue was an oil pressure switch that was not earthing . I believe this is in case of no oil pressure and thus stopping the fuel pumps from running.

Kind regards
Keith