Fuel Pump replacement Lucas to Bosch

AHi, 1989 Xjs he 5.3. Replaced Lucas fuel pump, which started making loud whine during last trip, with new look-alike Bosch from rock auto. Drained tanks, replaced plastic filter in sump, closed it all up, and gave it a try. Ignition on, fuel pump runs about five seconds, cranks, but no start. Repeated the start several times, one or twice a brief firing, but never got going. Sounds like it has no gas. Is priming required, somewhere in the fuel delivery system when swapping out a pump? Advice on next steps would be appreciated,thanks.
Chris

Put the old pump back in. If the car starts you have your answer

Make sure you have connected positive and negative connections on the pump the right way. It is possible to reverse them!

1 Like

Dave,
I agree. One of my XJ6s had an aftermarket fuel pump (my two XJ6s use the same kind of fuel pump as my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible) and the terminal locations were swapped. The important thing is to make sure the positive wire is connected to the “+” terminal and the ground wire is connected to the “-” terminal. The"+" and “-” markings cast in the plastic were difficult to see. I can easily imagine someone mixing them up.

Paul