Fuel tank filter alternative

I have just purchased a couple of alternative fuel tank filters for my Mk9. This mod could also be used on most of the saloon cars from the MK7 up to the 420.
The alternate filter costs around 7 pounds, as compared to about 45 pounds for the original. It is exactly the same diameter, but just slightly shorter. It doesn’t attach to the drain plug, which possibly make it easier to remove as all the cak in the tank doesn’t attach itself to the filter and cause the whole lot to get stuck.
The only possible downside is that the mesh is quite fine, so it might not be suitable for old and dirty tanks. It has a stainless steel mesh.
Worth a punt at this price!
It’s Baldwin part PF 7830 Komatsu 22U0421260, SF SK 3686.
Can anyone see a downside to this?

4 Likes

Not more than what you mentioned; the XJ used a non-attached filter like this so you might consider it an upgrade? And if you flush the tanks out a little, which you do anyways, no debris to worry about. Any chance of this rattling around?

Either unsolder the old, and resolder the new one, onto the plug, or use a spring on top to keep it in place?

See no reason why I shouldn’t work.

There’s an o ring in the inlet hole to keep the top of it in place on the suction tube, and the bottom of it fits into the boss where the big brass internal thread for the drain is. So it’s quite snug.

Look’s a good find , can’t see a small mesh being a down side , more a + :+1: