Fuel tank seals

Chasing the stink. Replaced today: fuel level sender seal, surge tank round seal, filler neck o-ring, 1/2" low-pressure hoses. Biggest suspect is the sender seal. Pic of original 1989 seal attached. Also, looks like someone had installed a bigger better surge tank pickup filter. Unfortunately punctured it on removal, so installed smaller new white screen.

Looks like you raided you paint spray gun for the filter. Cool. That flat (flattened??) sender seal looks queer, but I trust you know that. Rock on.

The brown pickup filter is the original. The small one is the reproduction that most vendors are supplying. If your original is intact, I would use it. Unless everything is very clean, the small one will get dirty quickly. How dirty is the tank and how much are you going to drive the car?

You need to buy the larger fuel sock filter. Earlier V12s had a smaller sock. Large brown is new and improved.

Dirt and junk in 1 gallon sump tank will stick to outside of sock filter while car is running. If clogged, you’ll have fuel pressure issues.

Archives and The Book list issues with older XJSs with small sock filter that had fuel delivery issues. Magically cleared up after shutting down (dirt returned to bottom of sump tank)

Inside of surge tank was very clean. Contemplating an inline filter between main tank and surge tank. It’s just gravity fed. Then the little pickup screen should be OK.

Surge tank is never clean. Was the fuel tank purged through it or with some hoses disconnected?

Majority of your “glitter” stuff is laying at the bottom of the tank(s), waiting until your fuel level will go low enough…

It’s a very good idea, and will be easily serviceable without having to drain the tank.
Get a high flow filter though so it doesn’t restrict flow.
If you go that route you don’t need the pickup screen at all, it just restricts flow for no reason and one less thing to worry about.

That’s what I did on my XJ (times two for two tanks).

I put a cut-off switch and 300 micron fuel filter in line, removed the sump filter.

I like that a lot. I presume in the picture you are missing the line from surge tank to pump. Found some good 8AN filters that work with fittings to 1/2" barb. What is the source/model for your cutoff valve? Looks better than the 1/2" barb ball valves I’ve been looking at on Amazon.