Full Engine Rebuild - Flat 6

Almost there on the teardown. Yardwork got in the way over the weekend. I’ll post a new article to my website once I get a chance to look at the bearings and the cylinder bores.

My John Deere tractor is my new best friend for heavy lifting in the shop!!!

1 Like

It’s been torn down and inspected! Two new articles linked below.

I now have 8 tables of parts between the Porsche and the Etype. If I die tomorrow, the first one here with a strong back and box truck will probably get a heck of a deal from my wife!

1 Like

The cups are a good idea but I like labeled baggies, you can number them in order and hang them on the wall so you can see them. Keeps the flat areas clear which you know you can never have enough of , some shops use stacked trays on trolleys

Ps you where told :wink:
Cheers

Jim, I’ve used a lot of baggies too! Fortunately, like the Etype SPC, the Porsche PET (Porsche ErsatzTeile = Porsche Spare Parts ) document also does a pretty good job of showing things in an exploded diagram fashion. That will be helpful going back.
Actually, over the last two days, I have been back on the Etype. After tearing down the Flat 6, it was evident that machining work is required. It will be the subject of a future article but let’s just say there are very few qualified candidates in the US to so this work. I have selected one and paid my 50% deposit to “get in line” for what looks like a mid April opening. Of course, that will slip but better than some of the full rebuild shops, which are booked months if not years out. Anyway, this gives me a hiatis on the Porsche so back to the Jag. And that worked out because some key items for it arrived in the last few weeks. I read an article by a top restoration shop. In effect, they liked to keep 8-10 cars in rotation, as this kept their staff fully occupied in spite of the inherent delays that come up with any individual project. And one guy can plausibly bill to multiple cars at the same time! No, just kidding. I think? BTW I’m leaving shortly to attend my yearly JCNA Judges Training.

1 Like

yearly JCNA Judges Training.

Good for you Harvey makes you very knowledgeable your very committed. When I joined this group I thought I new everything ,now I think I know nothing . Good to know people like you ,I can come off the ski hill and just ask :nerd_face:

I would use baggies and put them in a box ,when the box is full reverse the process but you start routing around and cleaning pretty soon it’s an Easter egg hunt, I figure if I number them and hang them on a wall it might work better :man_shrugging: Then move a few times :flushed: . It can take a long time to find parts you squirrel away :flushed:
Cheers enjoy your training

There appears to be a marked difference between the two cam profiles.

I hope she keeps them separate and not just throw them all together as they are just car parts.:flushed:

Robin, it is an interesting design which I frankly don’t fullly understand yet. It is their Variocam Plus, which changes the timing on the input cam do obtain a flatter torque curve over the rpm range. I am also curious and will try and find out how it works.

Robin, here are few links. It’s fascinating stuff!

I think it vastly simplifies how the intake tappet is switched by a sliding pin but you get the idea. Replacement tappets are $130 each!

Ahem Harvey , more Jaguar stuff please :grinning:

Well, both the flat 6 and the XK engine use an overhead cam :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only meant in jest . Looks cool though :grinning:

1 Like

Honda VTEC engines have a very similar setup.

1 Like

Hay Mister Barnes, I am working on a 4.2 Liter engine for my e type FHC 1966.
Can you tell me why the cams have changes and the space between the cam followers and cams are bigger then before?
The cams are diabolo and shorter, one milimeter, so the cap is two times bigger.
Strange from Coventry.
Frank.

Up until about 3 years ago I owned a 2003 911 4S coupe. Had 75k on it when I got it and had been regularly serviced by it’s one owner.

I ran the car for about 8 years. Replaced the IMS bearing with the ceramic from LN but the old one that came out was fine!

Car had compressions in the 220’s. Only problem I ever had in the approx 30k miles I drove it was failure of the headlight switch.

325hp stick shift, one of the best cars I’ve ever owned and wish I’d never sold it.

It appears that the IMS problems, and maybe the bore problems, were only prevalent in very low use cars.

When I sold it I got within about 3k of what I bought it for.

1 Like

IMS bearing failure does not affect EVERY Porsche flat six, but enough it is a valid concern because when it DOES happen, it can trash the entire engine. Doing the replacement is really not THAT big a deal, and given the purchase price, and value, of a well-maintained car, the ~$2500 price tag is not outrageous. It costs at least that, or more, to replace the cutch, or transmission, or several other components, that can also fail at about the same age. A pre-emptive repair is cheap insurance.

1 Like

I daily drive a 2002 996 Targa. Bought it with 55K miles and the IMS bearing replaced. Now have over 110K miles will very little maintenance required. Clutch is still ok, but most likely will go ahead an schedule a replacement including IMS. These are fantastic driving cars, just need to be careful when purchasing one. JS

1 Like

I had the dealership replace the IMS, clutch assy including throw out bearing and slave cylinder, all while they were in there…….$3k. Cheap insurance indeed!

1 Like

This car needs an engine!

My spare engine.
Frank.

2 Likes

I’ve added an update. Selecting a machine shop.
Although folks that will work on an XK engine aren’t too common (obligatory Jag content) folks that can properly repair a Lokasil cylinder bore are really rare.

1 Like