Gates Barricade - practical test

4mm thick you say… I may just do that! Thanks.

Gates introduced the Barricade Green Shield injection hose in 2011. I believe it was in response to the California Air Resource Board (CARB) promulgation of new low permeability rules for fuel hose. CA has the most restrictive air pollution standards for automobiles of any state. I started babbling about it around 2013, when I switched from Thermoid hose (also made in the US of A), to the Gates Barricade hose, having read the specs of both. I am pretty sure that CARB and Gates had a sufficient number of testings to validate their low-permeability claim, but it is nice to see a J/L member do a legitimate sniff test. Babbling over. SD Faircloth www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.com

3 Likes

What is the name of the Elitech device being used to look for fuel vapors? And/or a model number?

I’ve often searched the Internet for a device to detect fuel vapors, but without success. I don’t know the term for devices like this. Just knowing what they’re called would probably be enough to search successfully.

Thanks,

Dave

This place appears to have a slection.

Every hydrocarbon detector or halogen detectorwill do. Can’t really recommend the one on the photo, but that’s the only one below £300 range with the pump, able to sample the actual air content. It has infrared detector which doesn’t make much difference to my old sampler, maybe it even makes the device less sensitive (on refrigerant as these are built for this purpose). There is plenty of halogen leak detectors with hot diode at the end of the probe (not internal) for £30-60… Should work in similar way apart from measuring ppm…

Was thinking about that, but the thickness of the seal alao goes to the equation when permeability is involved…
FKM has usually much more flexibility / less shore hardness than nitrile rubber - I think this should compensate what mentioned above.

The biggest problem is to seal it right with the ring. I haven’t found any tool to screw the ring tight apart form shank of regular screwdriver. That however, makes the seal unequally compressed - tested in the past.

Any ideas about the best thing to tighten the ring/unscrew it???

I get a piece of wood and tap with hammer. Hard part is making sure ring doesn’t slide a fraction.

Hammer, screwdriver. Dish detergent so it slides better when refitting.

There are fuel tank lock ring removal tools available, common for modern fuel injected tanks that have in-tank fuel pumps. Some are designed as universal units, so perhaps these might be suitable? Possibly even available for loan by a car parts store?

Dave

Hmmm, I have a refrigerant leak detector - it actually looks like one of the cheapest, simplest units on the Elitech website (no display.) I know it works for refrigerant - could this simple unit work for fuel vapors?

That would surprise me because one would think that an engine compartment (where a tool like this would be used to find leaks in the A/C system) would be full of hydrocarbon particles. It would be nice though if they can!

Dave

I coat the gasket itself as well as the lock ring with Hylomar. Doesn’t everybody?

If it’s fuel resistant I obviously never did it any other way!

I don’t think I’ve seen one of those testers before, Bangher. :confused: What exactly does it test and what do you mean by “permeability”? I would think an intact hose is an intact hose, and so long as it has no holes or tears in it whatever it contains should stay contained while pressurized. ? :confused:

O.K., guess I got ahead of myself there w/o thinking … Obviously, if that were the case, we wouldn’t have the issue of fuel odors in the boot. Superblue has that problem after fuel-up, and even so did Supercat (my '95 4.0 coupe - R.I.P.). Is this an issue that happens (worse) over time (i.e. the hose breaking down) or did the XJSes have that problem out of the factory (motorman - did Jag ever issue a TSB about this matter?)? :confused:

err, hopefully whenever removing or replacing the retaining ring, you guys ARE knocking it loose/tight with a a brass hammer or other suitable tool made of brass. I noticed Jaguar, in the factory workshop literature, specifically warns to do this, so you don’t generate sparks in the process = your cat (and you) going “BOOM” … :bomb: :grimacing:

Worth checking, it’s only $80 with own pickup…
But it may explode! (as highlighted by Atty straight from his basement-erected nuclear shelter).
After sleepless months, finally I got it, the thing from my dream… It just couldn’t go through without trying of some incest, but here it is, stronger than requires and should fit the installed sump tank with single outlet (apparently there are versions with two pipes sticking out from the bit holding mesh filter):

Approx. £20 with best PETG filament and electricity included… On the print bed now for a big rumpy pumpy test with what’s below:

1 Like

What do you think they banged it on with at the factory, there won’t be any sparks, it will be sealed from getting it hand tight and then you help it home with a drift and a hammer; you’re lucky to have so much space as the XJ has the same bayonet in a much tighter location, sealant could help but it shouldn’t leak without and I believe hylomar isn’t the best on sliding installations. Should be dry per instructions no?

Looking at that I think you will find its for the much large locking rings that are in later cars, its states length at 9” which would be about the size of the one one the wifes 2012 Mazda 6.

When I r/red Supercat’s ('95 4.0 coupe - R.I.P.) fuel level sender assembly a few years ago, I don’t remember using any sealant (or any other product) on the sealing ring when putting it back in place, and I’m pretty good about following the instructions in the Jag factory workshop literature when doing work. :thinking:

Very cool tool Janusz!
What’s with the square holes? Just decoration? Pretty sure your perverted mind did not put them there for no reason…

I did it the traditional redneck hilly billy style, hammer and screwdriver… numerous times on plus and using the same original gasket… no leaks so far nock on wood.

1 Like

I think in my case I did buy a new sealing ring. :thinking: btw, those retaining rings are indeed becoming unobtainium … I have one I saved on my Ebay watch list, hoping the vendor would have new ones in stock … Still no such luck, many months later … :grimacing:

1 Like