Gates Barricade - practical test

Retaining rings, unobtainium?

I will always use a new gasket because the one time I reused one it began leaking and I found fuel on the ground after parking in London, far from home and without spares of course.

Where do you get them? I sure don’t see them (presently) on U.S. Ebay … :slightly_frowning_face:

A hundred thousand were made, I‘m sure you can find a few good looking ones if the original one broke! I meant gasket when I said ring by the way.

O.K., yes, I was talking the retaining ring, not the rubber seal. :blush: Tons of those rubber O-ring seals on Ebay. In fact, some of the vendors of the ring also sell the seal (when you could get the former, that is :slightly_frowning_face: ).

That’s 3/8th holes for ratchet or T-bar to allow fiddling in tight areas (f.eg. installed sump tank). Still better than floral pattern…

Fits perfectly

Oh… And a tiny word of warning after checking my stock - ring seals seems to be coming in different thickness…
4mm and 3mm as per photo

4 Likes

Hot damn. I love this thing. Nice work!

Wow, I thought this was just a theoretical exercise.

No theory, just action - need to hurry as I will be reaching my mid-age shortly…

Short update,

It seems we have two types of sender/sump gaskets on the market - while diameter is usually the same - thickness varies from 3 to 4mm. It also seems that locking rings are giving you additional tolerance (may lock loose or tight). Considering unknown rubber grades - and diversed shore hardness - 3mm is too loose while 4mm too thick. The secret of locking the ring in place is… the pressure applied while locking. Pushing against the wrench (mentioned above) with both hands - makes locking ring turn perfectly with 4mm Viton gasket version. Without it - it may pop out due to pressure/deflection on the notches from fuel tank/sender. Suggesting to purchase three locking rings from three different sources to match them perfectly.

2 Likes

AttyDall,

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to ignite gasoline in this manner?

A concentration of gasoline vapor in air below 1.4 percent is too “lean” to burn. Gasoline vapor levels above 7.6 percent are too “rich” to burn.

I’m not saying anyone needs to be smoking while working, but a spark from a hammer tap is unlikely. An explosion is even more of a stretch.

Just as likely to let one go while working in the trunk and start a methane explosion.

Just wear underpants.

DO NOT ask how I know.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

How do you know? :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll give you three guesses, and the first two don’t count.

:rage:

1 Like

At my age there are three rules:

1. never waste an election
    2,) never trust a fart
    And 3)…er… uh…I can’t remember!

Vee, well, that’s right but that’s wrong :wink:

Just give it a go with Atty and you’ll realise that there are some factors to consider with your statement above. As Atty mentioned from his nuclear basement shetler - life can be dangerous, same as petrol. The problem with petrol vapour is that it creeps into holes and cavities and stays there (especially in nice and wind-less garage) even with much greater concentrations, when source of ignition is present the edge of its zone can turn into shock front travelling towards your face… Trust me, I’ve done 12 years of testing and research with use of garden BBQ and jerry can.

1 Like

Well, then, VK, why does Jag specify only brass tools be used in the operation? Is there some other reason (other than to increase sales in brass hammers :laughing: )? :confused:

Oh we’re going to go by what Jaguar specifies for use now, are we? From the guy that hires a bud to do the repairs, we’re going by the book now.

Look, Jaguar specifies a lot of things, many of them should be followed. Some of them are a waste of time.

When was the last time you had an alignment? You must have used the midladen tools. Why would Jaguar specify that?

Have you replaced the orange spongey shock bushings? Why not, I mean why would Jaguar specify those utter useless pieces of crap, to increase sales of crappy orange foam?

You’ve been around these cars to know enough about when something needs to be followed, should be followed, and when it’s utter nonsense.

You wanna be safe? Sure, buy a brass hammer, but if that’s your philosophy then letting your Bud get away with all of the things he’s done, which has been wayyyyyy more dangerous then tapping off a ring with a steel hammer is a crappy way to treat any person.

Janusz, I’m not saying it couldn’t possibly happen, but let’s not pretend we’re cheating death by using a normal hammer and tapping that this off.

Now I don’t want anyone using a steel hammer to tap anything around the AJ16…. That engine cover is made with magnesium and under the perfect circumstance some crumbling of that magnesium may ignite and burn your entire house down.

2 Likes

If Atty provides his bud with a beryllium drift or an expensive brass hammer we will all be safe from explosions.
The only risk is wet fuel or a large pool of fuel vapor in a recess in the boot and you would smell either.
A screw driver that falls into that fuel filled recess and creates a huge spark that ignites the perfect mixture of fuel to air and burns long enough to set the car on fire is… unlikely. It’s safe to hammer away.

Don’t forget about static electricity!