Gear box fault?

Hi ,I have the top off my box (65 4.2 coup) the box is still in the car. The rods that hold the selector forks are quite worn at the slots were the stick end fits. not sure how worn the forks are .To replace all the innards is very expensive. I my as well buy the hole top .case .rods ect, I have never been able to get a quick gear change, not sure if this is normal? The box may have over 100,000m.on it .Has anybody just change the top of the box, and did it make much difference .I am not going to take the box out of the car . Your thoughts on this will be a great help .Regards Gordon.

I’m curious if this is a KE series transmission or an EJ?

Hi Eric, Not sure what you mean, it is a SI 4.2 1965 it is not a moss box .Regards Gordon.

The serial number for the transmission is stamped either on the cover or on the casing near the flange for the cover (can’t remember which right now). Anyway, it will start with either the letters KE or EJ. The EJ designates a close ratio gear set and it was in some 4.2 S1 cars. I’m not sure if the covers/shift linkage/forks/cases were the same for both, but I wonder if the issue might be unique to say, the EJ, perhaps. Maybe a quality issue of some sort for that production run. (Just doing some sleuthing)

Hi Eric EJ3807 ,could this be the original box ? With 110000 miles on it.

Or both.

Yes, that’s probably the original box. I read the other thread you recently posted to and I wonder if the fault might be from wear in the shift lever ball and the selection slots where the ball fits as opposed to the forks spreading inside the transmission. Just a hunch based on looking at that shifter arrangement. And if the issue is isolated to the EJ boxes, there might be a clue to be found by comparing to a KE. Again, just sleuthing.

Hello Gordon
Did you check the rotational movement on the selector rods before you removed the top cover?
in particular the 1st.2nd rod. If not replace the top cover select 1st and then with a small spanner
or grips check the degree of rotation. You state that the U slots are worn, is there “bruising” that allows
the 1st/2nd rod to make contact with the reverse rod?
No matter what prefix all all syncro boxes have the same selector rods including XJ.
Peter B.

Thanks all ,will put the top back on in the next thew days, and let you know what I find ,you have all been great help. Regards Gordon.

Check for the correct sequence of Tufnol and plain and spring washers, as shown in the spares book for the selector quadrant. The operating end should align with the middle 1&2 rod, from memory.

Although you state that your not inclined to remove the box Gordon, be aware that,
all syncro boxes short mainshaft E particulaly, are prone to the surface hardening of the spigot
at the forward end of the mainshaft breaking up, this will result in the break up of the companion needle roller
in the 1st motion “splined” shaft. Is your problem just reverse selection ( the subject of my first post),
or general gear selection. If the latter this may or maynot be a prob with the top coxer, selector hubs come
to mind. I don`t want to paint a black picture but the box has 110,000 miles usage.
PeterB.

Hi Peter thanks for your comments ,the car drives fine , but really fast gear changes are not as quick as I expected the stick goes in ok.As I don’t do it often ,may just be me ,spoiled by modern cars .JAG does have heavy clutch .I am going to get a fiend to look at top of BOX so may be a while till can confirm repair .Car has 110000 on Speedo .hope box hasn’t .Thanks Gordon.