Gear box oil level access

The carpet on the tunnel of our ‘54 120, doesn’t appear to allow access to the gearbox for checking/servicing the oil. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, this site is a wealth of knowledge!

There is a hole in the gearbox tunnel for access to the dipstick. Normally there is a hole cut in the carpet, and a formed cover plate held by two DZUS fasteners.

Bee-You-Tee-Full interior!

Wow that is absolutely stunning! Unfortunately mine doesn’t have the access cover. I’ll have to get some dimensions and layout something to cut in for a access panel.

Hi Mark,

I faced the same on my 150. Look at pictures and then push around with your fingers until you think you can locate the center of the hole in the runnel. Tapping with awl or screwdriver will also help you locate apeture.

Once confident, use knife to make incision in middle. Once you can get your fingers inside, you can feel around and open up cut to create a flap. Dipstick is on left side of opening. Mine has thick layer of foam between gearbox and carpet, but aperture in tunnel was there.

Usuals sell covers and Dzus clips. In fact I think I have a repo 120 cover if you need one.

Clive.

Hi Clive, thank you that’s great information! I sort of figured that’s what I needed to do but thought I’d reach out. The previous owner had a lot of restoration work done to it. I’m surprised that the carpet kits don’t come standard with the cut out for that access. I’ll check out The part suppliers for availability for the cover. If I come up short, I may take you up on your offer… These type clubs and forums are so helpful. We also mess around with old airplanes and the information available by other enthusiasts who are passionate about “old” machines is invaluable!
Thank you!

More pictures.

Some covers have a big hole in the middle covered by an extra piece of rexine because the early cars had a tall dipstick handle that protruded up too far and needed extra clearance.

Closeups of the DZUS fastener riveted to the underside of the gearbox tunnel.

You guys are awesome, thank you!

once you have access…then the hard part is when checking via dipstick or in add of oil…to not drip any oil onto the carpet…cover the complete surround area with sufficient barrier… But wait…there is another surprise…a well hidden lube point. There is also an access plate, secured by bolts, in the gear box cowl…right side several inches forward of seat frame, …to lube the front U joint nipple and a spline nipple (manual says 2500 mi intervals) . For this one there is no thru carpet access…the carpet is to be pulled back to access…often not easily done. On this lube topic…also hard to see and access are the rear lever arm shock fluid hole/plugs …the fill plug is on the top of the shock. Nick