Gearbox oil level a little higher

Dear all, the gearbox oil level was a little low, so filled it up slightly above the top marker on the dipstick, so I need to worry about potential problems? Do I need to remove some? If so, not sure how.
Thanks for all your help as always!

what’s your interpretation of a little over…slightly would mean ‘a touch’ not a pint???

Just like I mentioned, it is slightly above the top line of dipstick. Should I have said it differently? :slight_smile:

1mm,10mm 1/8” ?

a measurement such as what Robin suggested - i think slightly would be more than safe, can’t do any real harm

1 Like

The full oil level is 4.625" below the top of the cast iron case, so the countershaft gears are mostly submerged, and the mainshaft gears are just dipping into the oil.

We discussed this in April of this year.

a mm or 2 OK. The gearbox has a drain nut…underside, faces somewhat to rear…usually brass color. It would be a little messy to drain just a little if you had to…but can be done–just have to get the drain plug bolt back in, threading in by hand til the oil stops running down your hand to your arm to your armpit and torso. Good time ot discuss–so what oil is in your gearbox? do you know? what oil did you add? When was the last drain and refill? If all unknown…maybe good time to simply drain and refill. Noting the capacity specification is 2.5 Imperial pints, = 3 US pints. The specified il is 30 wt engine oil. In my opinion the best available for the gearbox, without todays friction modifier and detergent additives, is Millers–Millerol Vintage monograde 30wt.
Nick

1 Like