Gearbox on my series 2

Harry, you are quite right about how gearing changes can improve the car. I have no experience of what it would be like with a 4, or 5 or more, speed automatic but mine has been fitted with a 5 speed manual in place of its original 3 speed BW65 automatic. It totally transforms how the car drives and makes it much more responsive and lively.

David

I assumed it would make massive difference so ill do some reading and figure out what mechanical boxes may work or not but ill read on the one you suggested and I only say auto as ive got a bad hip and id rather not fit a clutch to my car pedal space isn’t great in there and my dad has a series 1 witht eh manual conversion and that needs the clutch pedal bent over a lot and even then not sure if both me and my dad will still hit the brake pedal when tryin to use the clutch

In which case you’re facing great expense and difficulty if you want a 5+ speed auto, Harry…

Certainly, the more gears the better. It allows the engine to be in rpm band for best power/torque during acceleration. And allows for a high top gear for cruising economy on easy roads.

But while more gears utilize the engine better for ‘spirited’ driving - it makes little difference otherwise…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yeah I know that it’s something that I wanted to know if it can be done and then in which case it’s Worthing Ill keep half a eye out for also unrelated but can you remove the head from the 2.8l engine in a series one with having to take the timing gear just so my old man knows he can just take it off and not have to lock the timing and set the engine timing he had knew bad experience and now he won’t touch timing of the engine itself but really need to get the head of by the locks of it

the guys on the XJ list can offer opinion on this thought, but I personally think the GM 4 speed auto conversion is the best proven & well supported, most common & cost effective…if you want an auto, and better cruising RPM

anything beyond that starts to cost more than the vehicle is worth…a prohibitive factor imo

In addition, they may detract from reliability…another no-no

If you want an auto not manual conversion (although the same principles apply)

Then start saving your money, and get a Tremec. These boxes are bullet proof and best of all customizable. you can purchase different gears that can be “adjusted” to meet your power band requirements. I won’t lie, It’s expensive kit; the gearbox alone will set you back $2500 US; then flywheel, clutch, try to find a clutch pedal box is nearly impossible unless you want to spend $600.00US; I don’t, I think it’s a complete rip off. but that’s another rabbit hole.

Try Realm Engineering (in Gloucestershire I think). They do the cheapest kit based on a Toyota box, or Elite Racing transmissions in Stoke if you want a T5.

1 Like

I’ll will give them all a read cheers