Gearboxes iddentification

Hi there,
I’m registering to this forum because I need some help to identify 4 gearboxes (1962 - 1973) I own and would like to sell…
I have pictures, but I’m a newbie to jags and I need your help to find out which models they come from…

More pics here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vTbnfE36aRuyetJr7

I would be very grateful if any one could help me…
I can of course provide additional pictures !!

One on the right appears to be a Moss box with overdrive from a Mk 1, 2 or S Type saloon, depending on the type of top cover\gearlever it has. There were 3 different types of o\d internals depending on the size of engine, and related to the internal operating hydraulic pressure, and, in the case of 3.8, number of springs, 12 vs 8 for the lesser models. Mk2 and S Type used a lever with shafts selector mechanism, Mk1 an older style ball and socket arrangement, with lever further forward.
The one with the compact o\d unit appears to be an all synchro from and XJ6, I think, similar box to that used on the earlier saloons from circa 1965, but the top cover locates the lever more rearward.

The stick shift box will have a serial number in the upper left rear corner at the yellow arrow.

You will want to quote that number in your ad.
And serial numbers on the automatics.
Pictures of all 4 sides will help.
When you are ready to sell them, don’t put your ad here, we have a classified advertising forum.

Wow! Thank you very much for your fast reply!!!
Posting a zoom of the location you spot… I don’t fint any number ther… is that the place you suggest to search in?

Posting what I belive would be serial numbers

Box 1 13567 dj 2

box 2 04853410

box 3 28/1474/026494

box 4 28/61980/ 017466 C

From memory, the s\no should be on that boss indicated by Rob, and also on the top cover between the rear and middle bolts, should be KH------ or similar. KJ?

Does that help?

No, it’s a stamped, not cast number. Look down on the top cover, just to the left of the gearlever, and the little square cast boss just below.

Ok, this is the serial… is that enough?

That’s the serial number for the overdrive unit. The gearbox number is stamped on the gearbox case and the gearlever cover, not a rivetted plate. Either way, judging from the top cover and rear mount, that’s a box from an S1 or S2 XJ 6. As far as I am aware, no other model used that type of mount AND had overdrive.
Capture

Finally foind thanks to your help :

I don’t have much information on a KPN. I found one car, a 4.2 Liter XJ6 Series 2.

KBN would be for a 3.8 S-Type with overdrive.
KFN would be for a 2.8 or 4.2 XJ6 S1.
KGN would be for a 4.2 XJ6 S2

GBN is from a Mark 1 or Mark 2 with overdrive.

Edit: I found a couple more 4.2 Liter XJ6 Series 2 cars with KPN boxes. That seems to confirm it.

1 Like

Thank you very much for yoy help!!
I will search seril on my 4th gearbox

It seems the automatic one have a différent type of marking… could not find the typa of stamps

Integral bellhousing, hardy coupling, looks like something later; if it is Jag at all. It has a speedo drive and vacuum modulator so it can’t be that modern.