Getting used to the new site

Trying to get used to the new site and probably missing some information somewhere. So 1st question is when I click on “E Types” Am I getting posts/other in some kind of order ? Most recent posted at the top ? And maybe there’s a way to sort ? not sure…There’s probably help/general info available somewhere but too maybe too lazy and brain dead to have found it yet… I do think that this new version is probably a great upgrade to the old site but there are always “growing” pains.

Where is “Search”.? Hopefully, “Oil” and “Filter” can searched as a unit and not get results from every post with the word “Oil” and/or the word “Filter” which narrows the results significantly. Keep up the great work.
Thanks

Michael,

Some if not all of your questions will be answered if you go to the “User Guides” Forum. To find that, go to the top right corner of the screen where you should see three icons. The first, a magnifying glass, is the search button. The second, the menu pulldown, lists all the forums, including the User Guide forum - click on it for a lot of help topics. The third icon, should match your personal icon, currently (M), and contains your profile, which you can edit to change your icon, as well as include information about yourself that will help others on the site.

Good luck!
-David

1 Like

David, Is there a way to revise my newly created username (67Jagxke) back to E_Masochist (Old Forum)? Somehow I got confused between User Name and Name…I don’t think I can change it in Preferences. Or am I wrong. Thanks

Try to log on to your old forum ID – E_Masochist – but when it asks for your password, say you forgot your password. You’ll be sent a reset password email. Use that and you are back to your old self, including all your old posts. This is likely covered in the User Guide forum – sure you actually read that?

Check out the “button” up top: “Old Users - read here!” It also tells all this.

Jerry

Sorry that I only spotted this now.

You can indeed change your username, as long as it hasn’t already been taken. I checked, yours isn’t already taken, so just go to the profile and change it.

Anybody think I need to write a user guide for this one?

Seems I am unable to change my user name, Andrew. The field is not editable in my case.

No, I don’t think you can change your user name. You can change your name which is right below your user name when you go to preferences.

Maybe one of the three admins can change it. If they can I’d sure like to change mine as well; drop the “1” from the end.

And I the upper case S at the end … although I have been accused of being Nick ol’ asS before …

You can change your username! I’ve done it on my test account about 5 or 6 times.

You can’t do it while your account is still in the sandbox (i.e. the first 10 minutes or so, and until you’ve posted a few questions), but once you’re out of the sandbox you can.

You can’t change it to a username which already exists, but you can change it.

Some may have old usernames because of the split head users problem, if that is the case, then contact me and I’ll rename the old username out of the way for you.

Tantalizing information - any suggestions on where and how this can be done (on the off chance that ‘Omnipotent Master of Time, Space, and Dimensions’ isn’t already taken).

It’s really quite easy.

Click on the LOG IN button
Enter your email, the one you registered with
Then click “I forgot my password”
Later, you’ll receive an email with a password reset.
Enter a NEW password because now it needs to be longer than the previous one.
Then you should get back your original user name.

You change it in your profile. Have a look at:

This guide is with the others in:

Andrew,

For many of us, when we click on preferences, the username is not editable. No pencil, no effect to selecting it. Is there another way to do it? Why can you do it on your profile while we can’t? I’ve been posting as much as anyone so I must have reached any approval limit there is. Help?

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for pointing that out. I just impersonated your account, and indeed, no pencil or such. But here is the weird bit: Your priviledge level is higher than that of my test account!.

I’ll try and figure it out… it can’t be any more complex than adjusting the pinion drop, right?

I’ve got it. You were able to change your username for a period after you initially enabled your account, but after that period it is locked.

I’ll write something up and place it in the guides section.

Andrew,

Maybe, but I recall this discussion just after the new site came up and at that time I, Nick, and some others reported we couldn’t change username even back then…

By the way, many thanks for your dogged pursuit of user understanding of the site, and improvements!

Jerry

Yes,

Right at the beginning everyone is in the sandbox, you can only create so many posts in a certain period, and you can’t change some things in your profile. Once you’re out of the sandbox you have a grace period to change your username (currently set to 3 days, but I’m pretty sure it was longer at the beginning.

The long and short of it is that if you want it changed after the grade period then you’ll have to ask me, put please hang fire until I write a procedure (I’d like people to check it the user name is already taken first).

I also wouldn’t mind having a bit of a break over Christmas.

Hi Jerry,
The upgrades to this site was a downgrade as far as I’m concerned. Before, at least you knew what was being discussed, which I’m sure was important to many people, whereas now there is no clue of whatever problem the poster faced except a few words in the subject line.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Can you not see the entire thread (by scrolling up) as you view the latest post? If so, perhaps that is a ‘settings’ issue as I certainly see the whole thread every time.

Bob,

Could you explain? I don’t recall anything you could do on the old one to see the original poster’s words that you can’t do here. You scroll up and can see all the posts in a thread on the new site. What is missing for you?

Jerry