Gloss or Semi Gloss

Ready to paint my heater box which I know should be black. But, Not sure if it is supposed to be gloss or semi-gloss. Same question for the black suspension components.

Thanks for the help,

Herb

Herb,

WIth questions like this it would help if you reference which E-Type you have in your topic header, or (even better) add that detail to the My Cars section of your profile. The answer may depend on the exact model/year of your car. That said:

The JCNA Judging Guide for Series 1 cars does not quality the level of gloss in the black paint of the heater box or other engine bay components - it simply says ā€œblackā€. The Series 2 Judging Guide is more specific. For the Heater Box is says ā€œgloss blackā€, but then proceeds to qualify this with the statement ā€œā€¦reports that 60-80 % gloss is the consensus and has seen 90-100%, gloss - many may consider 90-100% to be over restored, but currently there is no penalty for over restoredā€. SInce the suspension components are not judged, the JCNA Guides have no advice for that area. Clear as mud, ehā€¦?

1 Like

It was Jaguar standard black paint, wasnā€™t it - so, kind of a dull gloss blackā€¦? With a run or two in the paint which is very thin.

4 Likes

I have a late Series 1 car and the original black paint on the heater box was a black gloss - but a low gloss and definitely not a high gloss. Iā€™ve seen cars repainted in a high gloss and they do look over restored to my eye.

Herb:

Could you be more specific about what components youā€™re actually referring to and front or rear? Some of these parts may no longer be in their original color possibly painted by a PO. :slightly_smiling_face:

With regard to the other components, Iā€™m talking about the ā€œcageā€ that holds all of the rear suspension and the differential.

Another way to approach this would be to match the gloss of other existing items in your engine compartment. As far as the IRS cage, use the same, just to be consistent.

Iā€˜m convinced itā€™s a very dark brown and not from agingā€¦ at least on later cars, good that you ask

Same sort of paint otherwise, gloss, but not like water, but not dull. And drips and runs.

All of the black parts on these cars were quickly and economically sprayed with the same runny, sloppy black. It was most definitely not the high gloss perfection that you see on high end restorations. I did mine in semi-gloss powder coat which ultimately looks eggshell. Do it the way you like it and donā€™t worry what others think.

4 Likes

Words to live byā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I already painted everything blue, Herb, so, I hope you like it! :wink:

1 Like

We always used semi gloss for the black parts.

Yes I agree but I use ā€œSatinā€ which is the same thing

Satin is different than semi-gloss.

There is ā€˜flatā€™, then ā€˜satinā€™, followed by ā€˜eggshellā€™, which is followed by semi-glossā€™, and finally ā€˜glossā€™ ā€¦ at least if I recall the sheen/gloss levels correctly (ā€˜satinā€™ and ā€˜eggshellā€™ may be in reversed order?). At least that is in non-automotive paints, not sure if the same levels apply to automotive paints.

I chose Semi-Gloss.

Wisely

1 Like