Good cylinder head shop in Southern California

Can anyone recommend a good shop to do some work on a XK cylinder head in SoCal? Looking for someone who is familiar with proper clearances, fitting valve guides, etc.

Rover,

I’ve used a couple shops over the years, however it’s been a while.
K&A Head Masters in Fullerton did very nice work on my cylinder head installing no-lead rings (seats).

You may also consider Engine Components and Machine in Santa Ana.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are no-lead rings in a cyl head?

Interesting, inasmuch as all Jaguar XK’s had Stellite valve seats.

1 Like

Hardened valve “seats”, not rings, for unleaded gas.
Both my Triumph and Land Rover had to have the seats replaced.

XK engines, like almost all alloy headed engines, come from the factory with “hardened seats” suitable for no-lead gasoline.

There’s an echo in here…:wink:

Yes. :grin: But I went the simpler word route. Most would have to look up Stellite.

Thanks Steve, and Wiggles,
I wondered if the seats were hardened and resistant to unleaded gas. Save me a bit of money not having to replace the valve seats. And thanks to Killer for the recommendations!

Tom

1 Like

I had the 3.4L XK engine for my 1957 MK VIII and the 4.2L XK engine for my 1969 E-Type FHC rebuilt by Motor Works in the San Diego area. They also rebuilt the cylinder head from my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas. The address for Motor Works is 1625 Coolidge Ave, National City, CA 91950. Ask for Cisco at (619) 327-0201. They have been around for decades and have highly experienced people rebuilding these engines. They did a great job on my engines and I don’t hesitate to recommend them. I have no affiliation with Motor Works other than as a satisfied customer.

Paul