Good looking hardtop on ebay if anyone's looking

It looks 100% complete with a great headliner. No affiliation

Well now you’ve made me jealous with all the shenanigans I’m going through getting mine to fit perfectly! And this one has chrome…

I was able to purchase a hard-top in similar condition about 10 years ago and had it painted to match the car color. For those thinking about a hard-top, I can only say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the driving experience with the hard-top in place. I live in the North-East and it has extended the driving season. One gets some satisfaction in placing the top with the change of seasons.

That looks pretty nice for a reasonable sum, I’m surprised no one has gone for the Buy It Now.

I bought one recently. Paid more, but then it came with a car attached.

1 Like

I’m shocked this one isn’t still with that car. I can’t imagine someone separating them. The headliner is in shockingly good condition. It would be nice if they had closeups of the chrome trim to show it’s not dented up. That stuff is hard to restore. AMHIK

The “local pickup only” part might be problematic in Covid nation.

I agree - seems a shame to separate them even if the current owner just has it hanging on the wall. Even just from a mercenary view - I would think and OTS with a nice matching hardtop would be worth more & more saleable than the separate parts.

Erica- thanks for posting this! I had to pull the trigger- the aftermarket repros are more expensive and incomplete to boot. I’ve been trolling for an original hard top for a few years now and this one fits the bill nicely. I’ll have to figure out shipping but that’s usually no big deal, just $$. Thanks again!

1 Like

You got a great deal + it includes the chrome for the rear window!

Doug, I you decide to ship instead of going for a ride, don’t do what I did and just let the seller strap it to a pallet. It’s too big to fit on a standard pallet and it will slightly hang off the edge. It would need to be in a fully enclosed crate for safety. Of just drive the E there :wink:

Well bought!

I have never used them but have heard of others who successfully shipped large awkward stuff via Greyhound. Hopefully the seller will be very helpful as packing will be very important to a safe trip.

Yes I recently bought some bucket seats for one of my cars and they came from a small town in North Carolina to Houston via Greyhound in a big cardboard box. I went to the station in downtown Houston to pick it up. They had a big freight counter there.

David
68 E-type FHC

We used to regularly ship large heavy roles of building plans, “blue prints”, via Greyhound. We’d pick them up at the downtown Houston terminal. Back then you pretty much had the choice of the USPS or Greyhound. Greyhound was cheaper and faster if the shipping and receiving points were larger cities with frequent bus departures and arrivals.

I received the hard top last week and it is very much as it was described in the EBay ad. The seller went to the trouble to arrange for crating and shipping the hard top to me- the shippers did an excellent (but not cheap…) job.
Crate:

Top:

As you can see it’s overall in very good, complete, condition. The rear window chrome is coming loose as is the lower rubber seal. The chrome has some small dents (expected for a 50+ year old part!) and will need to be fixed and re-chromed. I need to disassemble to repaint it anyway so this is not such a big deal. Overall I’m very happy with the transaction!

4 Likes

Damn, that is a total score. Fantastic crate and a much cleaner top than I started with.

A couple of suggestions, consider leaving out the tiny interior screws on the ends of the rear seal. They aren’t necessary, and those side skirts are very close to the body paint. They can easily scratch it.

When you decide to rechrome, try and find a shop that can safely chemically strip those fragile parts instead of buffing it off. Then take them back and dolly out the imperfections or fill with solder and shape. Then bend parts like the rear trim until they fit perfectly. Hand polish instead of machine polish otherwise they’ll distort. Then hand them back for plating. If you let a shop try and do it all you’ll likely be very upset with what you get back.

When you mount it, don’t let the fragile leading lip contact the metal corner caps on the screen. It can come close but mustn’t touch.

Erica- thanks for the recommendations! I’m sure I’ll have many more questions for the hard top experienced as I go through this process. And thanks again for alerting the forum to this item!

A great purchase and you have the rear chrome trim !

That’s not a crate, that’s unfinished furniture. :smile:

Hang on to that crate. With the price of lumber today it might be worth more than the hardtop. :rofl:

2 Likes

One of the best movies of all time (IMO)

1 Like

Boy, had to go out and check mine… all the chrome and good headliner, I think the value of my 66 OTS just went up by $10K LOL Don

1 Like