Good mechanic near San Jose area

Greetings everyone, I had posted this question in the past, but wanted to repost it in case new members or seasoned ones have updated information, I’m looking for a good reasonable mechanic around the San Jose area (California) for my 54 XK120 which is currently not starting. Last time it ran was 3 weeks ago and I noticed the exhaust sounded different. Would really appreciate your help and recommendations.
Thank you!!

Is it up for sale? I ask as there’s a dead ringer for yours currently on Craigslist. I hope not as I’m in San Jose too and it would be nice to see another '120 – any old Jag for that matter – cruising some of the roads out of here. I’ve done all of my own work (thanks to forum members here), but I hear Emile’s in Santa Cruz (long waiting list but great service) and On The Road Again in Morgan Hill are good. There’s the Stevens Creek Jaguar dealership, but I’d think any Whitworth wrenches there have long gone untouched. Try giving Leale’s Auto at 405 Keyes in SJ a call. They service my employer’s fleet vehicles, advertise themselves as also working on Jags and I have seen 50s/ 60s domestics there so at least they’re sympathetic to older vehicles. The Union 76 station in Willow Glen on Willow at about Meridian can also likely fix yours. None of the mechanics there is under 50 and the one I considered having do an alignment for me used to race AH bugeyes and still services a local’s TR4. Good luck.

They do have a great rep.

Sorry for late response, yes, it is listed on GL, but in no hurry to sell. I did take it to On The Road Again and I did not have good experience at all. I will reach out to Emile’s in Santa Cruz, thank you! As for taking it to a mechanic in a gas station, I really worry that it ends up with scratches/damage, but I will stop by the 76 station in Willow Glen if you thing they are good. The car currently needs some break work or adjustments and an oil change. I really appreciate all the tips.

No need for a reply Simon. Just wanted to add that though my '120 is likely not as pristine as yours, nevertheless I’m sure I still feel the same about its care as you do yours. So with that in mind I’ll add that the gas station would be good for the oil change, tune, etc. but I’d hold off on them doing the brakes as, depending on how bad they are (oil saturated/ worn linings, the need for a part, etc.), I wouldn’t want mine there for longer than a week – even though they’ll keep it inside and on a lift after hours. Emile’s is best for the brake work but be prepared to be put on a waiting list for upwards of several months. Good luck to you with the car and its sale!

Thank you, Chris! for Emile’s, is it “Emile’s Sports Car Performance” 3501 Portola Dr? I believe it needs new drums, they mentioned it has some heat cracks. Any idea about how much I should expect the estimate would be?

Emile’s Sports Car Performance. Yes, that’s the place. As for an estimate, sorry, there are just way too many possible variables there for me to wade into a guesstimate like that. I’ve usually done all of my own brake work in the past with the exceptions for things like having new friction material professionally bonded to the shoes then turned and arced to matching drums which get turned as well if not new. I’m confident Emile’s will give you a fair estimate. That shop cares about their reputation and they usually host the occasional weekend drives through the redwoods.