GPS speedometers in Jags

How many have them and what brand did you use? How did you mount it in the dash? Any problems finding a good place for the antenna?

I am looking at the Speedhut as my S1 speedo/odometer is giving very erratic readings at times… tired of playing with gears and cables.

My rear end ratio of 2:88 does not correspond to any of the S1 speedo heads and I combined a S3 speedo and odometer inside my current unit…

Roger, Please clarify. Is your current speedo head an electronic unit from an S3?

Bob

No, all mechanical…gears and cable from trans.

Looks like the Soeedhut will work well

Roger Mabry
758 East Cypress Avenue
Glendora, CA 91741-2731
H 626 963 0763
C 626 806 1755

How does that work? Do they adapt your OEM speedo head for GPS or do you install their system somehow?

Their speedo head and GPS antenna. Check out Speedhut, GR4.5-GPS-01T… it just replaces

the Jag speedo head - no cable… just hook up the wires and antenna. $315.00…

Roger Mabry
Home: 626 963 0763
Cell: 626 806 1755
email: mabryroger@hotmail.commailto:mabryroger@hotmail.com
758 East Cypress Avenue
Glendora, CA 91741-2731

The hole used for the Speedhut is about 1/2 smaller and their OD is 1/2 inch smaller or only 4.5 inches.

My plan would be to use the Jaguar speedo case, cut off the rear portion and adapt it to the Speedhut parts… That way it would install the same way and be the same size in the dash… the Jag inner ring should cover the speedhut face. In worst case I might have to have a ring welded in the Jag speedo case to mount their speedo parts. Their antenna will be mounted under the plastic speaker grill cover in the center of the dash pad as there is no speaker in there and they claim the signal will pass through plastic.

Will order it soon but they take 25-30 business days for production. I am considering model GR4.5-GPS-02… no high beam light but 140 MPH. Will add a Blue LED on the left hand size of the dash and connect their wiring to it. Series 1 Jags have their turn signals in the center light quadrant.

i did an GM LS conversion ,engine trans, into a Buick GN .

i used a Digital/analoge GPS speedometer, works great, very accurate ,.01 mph, also has speed zone warning beep, or red light flash if sound is turned off!

mine was Dakota digital , but many types out there!
google

i also added a remote start feature, so kool when at show , everybody looking at engine , i say hands off ,hit the remote button in my pocket, and walah, engine fires on 1st stroke.
gotta love those Ls engines!

Very nice install in the Buick… the accuracy and other abilities are what I am seeking. But, I need it to fit in the same
hole in the dash that the Tach fits and be the same outer size… will have to adapt the Speedhut to fit the Jag
dash hole…Speedhut has a button that changes the lower display to show various things: compass heading, altitude,
will do timing of 0-60 mph and a 1/4 mile run.

I like modernizing my old Jag with things that work better but look stock at first glance…

1 Like

New GPS speedo from Speedhut arrived yesterday and I now I am ready to install it into the Jaguar.

I managed to fit it into a old Jaguar tach housing (speedo housing would have worked the same) that was in my spares… I cut out the center section on the inside leaving about 3/16" around the edges in a circle that fit the GPS center housing.

I had to “flatten” the inner blanking piece that is located next to the lens glass to get it to reach out a little more to cover the GPS outer ring… then had to grind the outer edges off since it was now wider to fit back into the outer ring that holds the glass.

I cut off a plastic container that was on my desk holding junk to get a 4 1/4 inch round ring that was about 5/16 wide adjust sanding it fit - to adjust the needed depth… it fits around the GPS housing and then it drops in the Jag housing… forgot to take a picture of that before the final assembly.

Then I used the GPS outer screw on ring to hold it into modified Jag housing.

Next is the install… I ordered it with a Red pointer just because I could, mine has a cable that will replace the Jag knob that adjusts the trip meter… it controls the functions shown on the speedo face box… either trip meter, elevation, 0-60 mpg test run time/speed or 1/4 mile time/speed.

I ordered a blue light for the high beam indicator… turn signals on Jag is in center dash housing.

This will resolve any needed tire changes in OD that would effect the speedo or odometer readings, changing trans gears, 90 degree speedo cable adapters and speedo cables. Will be 100% accurate.

First photo is the new GPS speedo in the old Jag housing the third in the rear view of the speedo showing their round “nut” holding it all together.

It all works and even has a clock, and compass headings…

Thanks Carl for the how to post information.

src="//jl-discourse-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/original/2X/7/7e5b404331d866b6ae6fcb926e23c65e00d975b5.jpg" width=“689” height=“390”>

Roger:

I’m looking at the heading as I type. The 7th icon from the left is a bar with a vertical arrow, Hovering over it via curser reveals “up load”. Try that, it will give you browsing choices for your pictures. I managed, Small wonder!!

On an errand this AM, Coco and I went to the local Rite Aide. A guy admired my car. We chatted a bit. He is a retired carpenter and lives In nearby Rossmoor. He described his 65 Mustang. Indeed, I’ve seen it. A real beauty, not quite as Lee intended,. but tasteful. Red convertible with a white top.

He likesa the lines of my Jaguar and was enthralled as I told him it was Cadillac V8 powered.

Car guys abound.

Carl

Carl

Thanks for the info… I did post the photos to the “other Jag Forum”… will post to this one later on.

Out doing the install right now and am 95% done.

It all works perfectly… will take it on a road trip tomorrow of 200 miles to see GK play ice hockey and then
to BD party for another GK and back home from near San Diego.

Roger Mabry

Road trip went well… no problems and GPS is accurate… good solution if you changed tires, trans or rear end gears and your speedo/odometer is off.

Yes, I did see them on the other forum. slick, no question about it.

The picture I posted here is not me and my cars or for sure the Spitfire!!! I can always dream!!! It was just handy, My pictures folder here is a jumble. Loaded with scans I’ve done. Clean up greatly needed. And down loading from my cameras is iffy at best. From my favorite old Olympus, not possible at all.

Still forgetting to hook up my old TOMTOM and see what it says if anything about velocity.As my speedo is nuts, or just might have recovered, I drive by tach and SOP…

Carl

1 Like

Carl

Yes, my Jag at 1700 rpm is 70 mph…

Roger Mabry

1 Like