Grinding Rocks? '77 - 4.2 L six

Awwright, valves were finally properly shimmed, and engine sounded pretty good, so I put the Jag aside for some work on the Spit.
Came back to the Jag, and two sounds leapt out: Ting, ting, ting - as if the fan blade was striking something, but careful search shows nothing. I slacked the belt and ran the engine and that nose went away, So, Possible water pump issue?

Second noise: this became really noticeable after disconnecting the WP - it literally sounds as if grinding rocks.
No. I didn’t run the engine very long, but the one thing is that it disappeared above 100-1200 rpm.

My concern on this is that the hydraulic belt tensioner has collapsed, and parts are either being chewed up by the chain, OR have gotten into the pan and may be affecting bearings.
Anyone have opinions?

If the hydraulic tensioner has collapsed, oil pressure will be minimal, and you should be able to hear the chain hitting the front engine cover. Lack of oil pressure will be your biggest clue.

When you slackened the belt and lost the noise, there may be a bearing issue in the water pump or alternator. Are there metal bits in the oil?

Have you tried a simple stethoscope to try to pin pint the area of noise ?

I’ve used both a stethescope and a simple rubber hose - I get better results with the hose.

Thanks for mentioning oil pressure. It’s 40LB+ at startup, holds that at idle (750rpm).

Thanks for the replies.
Just before I was to jack up the car and start draining fluids, my brother came by and had a couple suggestions.
(unlike me, who only works on engines when I must, he’s constantly working on one or another.)
Add Hy-Per Oil, and tighten the chain even more.
Monday I added half a bottle of Hy-Per oil (15oz), that did a lot for quieting.
Today I tightened the chain more, and that quieted it even more.
Tomorrow is to be a nice, dry day so I’ll run it around for a while and see how it sounds.
BTW, I slapped a big magnet to the dip-stick, just to see if any shavings came out - nothing.

Just got back from a quick run - 5-6 miles.
It sounds pretty good, but now that I’m wearing hearing aids, I hear every dang squeak and rattle!
Gonna go back to driving without them - easier on my nerves!