Has anyone mixed interior colors?

This is the first time I’ve tried to post a photo:

2 Likes

No way. I’ve seen it in the flesh and it looks really nice. And very well executed.

1 Like

Thanks Ole. The whole “concourse” issue is a shoulder shrug for me. As I think it probably is for most of us. We want to enjoy our cars by driving them. And making a few non-factory alterations on things like interior colors just doesn’t matter. And some people “would never do that”, whatever “that” is, and that’s fine for them. I’m a traditionalist by nature, and have no desire to change the essence of the car. But a black interior with tan accents? I’ll sleep just fine. You should too.

3 Likes

Thanks for making the effort! And I agree, the black seats with tan / biscuit interior looks sharp. I actually thinks it looks better than an all tan interior :+1:

My interior is all black, so I’ll just be adding a few components of color.

And I just saw you did what I’ve been considering. Black door caps with a different color door panel! :+1:

Two tone you say…

Copy of CIMG2069 Copy of CIMG2073

3 Likes

Thanks Gary! I appreciate the effort. As it turns out I just sourced a NOS full interior kit made by GW Bartlett. It’s Tan/ biscuit and I also have a set of black NOS GW Bartlett seat covers, so I’m considering doing just what you posted. Red S1 FHC, with a full tan interior and then either matching tan seats or black seats. :thinking:

Ditto: monochromatic interiors are yuk.

Hey Now !! I am guilty. and to make it even less interesting its all black.!!!

Having said that, I have always liked the interiors with contrasting color piping around the edges, maybe I saw it in Austin Healeys or Triumphs.

Tis OK: one person’s monochromatic monotony is another’s salad!

I toyed with the idea of different-toned piping on the Jag, but never finished the interior.

All black. Absolutely my all-time favourite interior colour, but only in the sports cars I have owned. To the OP, the first E-type I ever saw in the flesh, back in the fall of 1964, was red on black. Fell in love right then and there.

As I understand it the factory supplied some cars with different coloured piping, I don’t know if this was a customer request or just someone in the trim department alleviating boredom.

1 Like

1 Like

With the intense, non stop sun of California, the black can get really hot…

The tan seems so much cooler. ( temperature wise)

1 Like

Bob,

That looks more like Biscuit than Tan to me (unless it’s the photo/monitor fooling me). Jaguar’s Tan is a more saturated brown color. I mention this, as I’ve heard that folks who ordered a Tan interior without checking samples were surprised/disappointed.

-David

When I was a kid I thought the “coolest” color for a British sports car was BRG and Biscuit, or Tan as I probably called it. now tho I really appreciate all the period colors.

David I think you’re right, biscuit being the more accurate term. I was using “tan” in its generic sense… :+1:

Hi,

On two-tone interiors, Jaguar did this with XK120’s. They had ”Red & Biscuit”, Dark Blue & Light Blue and ”Tan & Biscuit”.

Now you have to keep in mind that what Jaguar called Dark Blue, was really dark, almost black, and what Jaguar called Light Blue (or Pale Blue) was a very light grey and what Jaguar called ”Tan” was in fact a rich saturated brown, like ”Pigskin” or what the American football looks like.

And then all E-types had a black dash and Ser 1.5, Ser 2 and Ser 3 have a black center console and radio facia.

My ex Ser 1 2+2 also had black door cards and black seats in a Suede Green interior with green headliner and I was going to change it all green but learned to like the two colour combination and left it like the PO had changed the door cards and seats.

Ferrari and Maserati often had contrasting carpets, typically either red or beige depending on the paint and interior. Many of those combinations look great IMO.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
Fin.

Ps. All OTS’s had beige trim in the trunk regardless of the interior or hood (convertible top) colour.

1 Like

This might be inspiring :wink:
20140623_160910Red

1 Like

Well, I’m not sure “inspiring” is the word I’d use, but it does provide a ready defense of any modest attempts someone like myself might attempt.