Has anyone use the Toyota or Honda engine?

I have a Jaguar Mark IX. It currently has a Chevy 350 5.7 L VORTEC. I was wondering if anyone has used a Toyota or Honda engine in there conversions. If so, what would the pluses and minuses be?
Obviously, they would be quiet and dependable. Just wondering if anybody had any experience with this…

Depending on which engine and what configuration they are, generally speaking they are higher RPM motors with less lower end torque. That may or may not suit your wants.
There was a guy that put a mildly hopped up turbo 2JZ in a 60’s charger and made 500 wheel hp which is typical of those with a little boost. Sky is the limit and unfortunately many of the better engines ever made were not from Europe or the US. There’s just a bit of a learning curve. The 1UZ 4 cam v8 from Toyota had a bit more of a “normal” cammer v8 power band and was a wonderful engine. There are really a plethora of options if one’s alright working outside the box.

1 Like

Many years ago, there was a Mk9 running around here with a V12 in it. Not sure if it still exists. Externally standard.

This one probably.

Or what about a 4.2 or even better, 3.8? With a turbo?

1 Like

That is definitely something to consider. But I’d really like to go with something that will last a long time, and is affordable to repair. That’s why I was thinking about a Japanese engine. I don’t know if anyone’s considered this, but to me, it just seems logical. If you’re going to get away from the Jaguar engine, why not go with something that’s relatively bulletproof and parts Are easily accessible.

That’s kinda what leads people to ole domestic V8’s, that and the low end torque makes for a pleasant driver vs virtually anything ever made in Europe tending toward multiple cams with small displacement and higher RPM. Which is perfect fine and lots of fun. There are for sure plenty of very well engineered and constructed asian engines and many of them are readily swapped around you just have to go find people in those circles to sort out what is what. Short of forced induction it’s just not easy to get good casual driving torque from small motors unless it’s in a likewise lightweight car ime. The 4.6L Ford and it’s matching OD transmissions are very pleasant in their later configurations as well if one has the engine bay width for them. There aren’t many more long lived engines in the consumer realm, and most of them aren’t especially well taken care of.

1 Like

No, this was in NZ, about 1980. As I recall, it was cream or 2 tone beige. Other than the engine and trans swap, it was standard, used a carb V12 and BW12.

1 Like

Not mine. I have no connection to this. Japanese? Yes. Economical to repair? Hell no.

1 Like