Head light dipper switch

There seems to no power to the dipper switch in my Series 2 so I am trying to look or feel the wires connecting to this switch. Can’t tell very well but there seems to be four wires connecting to four terminals. Seems that there should be only three

Is my sight wrong or was there a fourth terminal on some switches. If so, where does fourth go?

Hello Phillip,
One wire from the Headlamp switch.
One wire to Low Beam of Headlamps
One wire to High Beam of Headlamps
One wire from Headlamp Flasher switch (incorporated in the Trafficator Unit). It goes to a terminal on the Dipper Switch that shares a connection on the Dipper Switch with the wire from Dipper Switch to Headlamp High Beam.

Regards,

Bill

Very helpful Bill
Do you know how they are located?
Which wire to top terminaL?
Which to middle two
Which to bottom?
Phillip

Hello Phillip,
I’ll take a look at a car today at work and come back to you. However, it should be a:

1. Blue wire from Headlamp Switch to Dipper Switch

2. Blue and Yellow from Dipper Switch to High Beam

3. Blue and Green from Dipper Switch to Low Beam

4. Blue and White from Dipper Switch High Beam Terminal to Flasher Switch (incorporated in the Trafficator Unit).

Regards,

Bill

My wire colors are badly faded. Do you know if blue wire connects to top or bottom terminal?

Hello Phillip,
The Dipper Switch has three terminals. The centre terminal is Common with continuity between it and the other two terminals being made via movement of the switched lever. Therefore, the 12VCD feed from the Headlamp Switch (the Blue wire) attaches to the centre terminal.

With the Dipper Switch mounted so that the three terminals are aligned to the vertical plane and therefore, the movement of the switch lever will be up and down, with the switch lever in the Up position, the Blue and Green wire (Low Beam) will be attached to the bottom terminal. The Blue/Yellow and Blue White wires will both attach to the remaining, top terminal.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,
I am.surprised that your description has changed, although your latest version is consistent with three wires on wiring diagram and picture of the switch in parts catalogue.

However, my switch is not the same as it has one terminal at the bottom, two in parallel at the middle of the switch and I am almost certain there is a fourth terminal and wire at the top. Wires are original and faded so cant tell colors.

So it looks like what you first described.
Have you had two e types with two types of switches?

As Jaguar was changing lots of things on the Series 1 5 era, I suspect a four terminal.switch was used on some vehicles, including mine.

Where has it changed? In my first Post, I describe wires in Point 2 and 4 going to High Beam. There is only one High Beam terminal on the Dipper Switch, accordingly, the wire from the Flasher Switch must go to the same terminal as the wire from the Dipper Switch to the Head Lamp. Therefore, my description is consistent.

If you have Four Terminals, you will have to determine the characteristics of the switch with a Multi-meter, checking for Continuance between terminals with the Switch Lever in the two different locations.

Regards,

Bill

You are correct. I misread

Hello Phillip,
Having a closer look at the wiring diagram, the wire from the Trafficator is a 12VDC feed via fuse #8. This wire must go to a terminal that is common to the wire from the Dipper Switch to the High Beam of the Headlamp. In this configuration, the High Beam will flash, via the the Flasher part of the Trafficator switch, irrespective of whether the the Headlight Switch is on or not.

On the car I checked at work the other day, the Dipper Switch had 3 terminals, with the wire from the Dipper Switch to the High Beam of the Headlight and the wire from the Flasher Switch, made common via a Piggyback Terminal Coupler.

If your switch has four terminals, I would look for two terminals that are common (you say that there are two in parallel) and attach the wire from the Flasher to one, with the wire from the Dipper Switch to the Headlamp High Beam, to the other. You then would have to have another terminal that will alternatively show continuance with the two terminals that are Common and the Fourth Terminal when the Dipper Switch Lever is moved to each of its two positions. The 12VDC feed from the Headlamp Switch will attach to the Terminal that alternatively shows continuance with the others when the Dipper Switch Lever is toggled. The wire to the Low Beam of the Headlamp would attach to the remaining, fourth terminal.

Regards,

Bill