Head paint locations

i am getting ready to paint the head for my '65 E. Does someone have a good diagram or description of what areas of the head should be painted? I have questions on these areas:

1. I believe that the front of the head is not painted and the valley is painted. Where does the paint start at the front of the valley?
  2. Are the flat machined areas under the D washers for the head studs painted? (I assume not)
  3. Are the machined vertical walls extending up from the D washer surfaces to the cam covers painted?
  4. Are the flat surfaces on the bottom of the head, outside the machined gasket area painted?

thanks,
Dave Christensen

Here’s mine. This is the way CJ painted it during a head rebuild. No idea if it’s accurate but it looks good

1 Like

That looks correct. (Can’t tell from the photo, but I masked over the machined areas for the head bolts). Here’s one related string among several from the UK site (the front should be bare aluminum):

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15171&p=124035&hilit=cylinder+head+paint#p124035

I don’t think the rough cast at the front below the breather housing was painted. Pretty sure the head nut faces were. I think the area above the exhaust manifold and the small area above the inlet manifold weren’t either. Neither were the rough cast under faces either. I used to see the originals in all the colours quite often, but never took a lot of notice as we never painted them when reconditioning.