Headlamp switch connections

I’m working on connecting the new loom.

Could someone with a 4 position headlamp switch please post a picture of the connections? My car was originally only 3 way, I sourced a used 4 way and fitted it, but the numbers marked on the switch don’t match up to the wiring diagram.

Also, what on earth is that 1/2 W resistor for?

And another also… How is the arm of the harness for the GB/OD routed out of the dash? It’s glued under the carpet/felt, so I’m trying to make sure that the rest of the harness sits sweetly before I glue it in place.

Hi Andrew I am new to jaguars and haven’t gotten too far into the mk2 yet. I have an automatic in mine. I cannot give a definitive answer but my manual states if it has a standard transmission the resistance has been omitted from the lighting switch, suggesting it would have something to do with the voltage to the od or gear indicator? Just guessing…

Resistor. When the lights are turned on the O/D light on the nacelle dims.
O/D harness runs along the gearbox tunnel,
gearbox side.
Do you have the small harness for the gearbox, O/D and reverse?
Peter

That makes sense about the dimming of the light, it’s just not terribly apparent from the schematic.

On the loom routing, yes, clear it’s on the LHS through a grommet. I was wondering more about how it exits the center part of the dash.

I have the small GB extension harness, I bought a complete harness from Autosparks.

Andrew, when you say “four way” I expect that you mean: off; side; head; fog? I will take a picture when I get home. Expect to be beaten to it! Paul

When I am driving and go into overdrive and see that little red light it comes as a surprise ,as I usually drive with my lights on and it is almost invisible. Seeing the red light reminds me to turn on my headlights to be more visible to those that drive with today’s common distractions.

Gerard

Yes, by 4 way I meant the switch with the 4th position “Fog”.

Andrew
Is it possible to post a photo of the loom showing the junction in question?
I assume you have S not MK11 loom…
As your car is a 68 are the brake calipers Girling a la 420 or the Dunlop/Girling
hybrid?
Peter.

Peter, it isn’t a junction, there is a branch coming from the instrument panel area with the correct wires for the GB/OD, My question is how does it exit the Dash area?

Brakes are Girling, single circuit, with the air control valve at the servo. (mine is one of the very last S Types.

My question about the lighting switch is “what goes where?”. The switch is a 4 position one, but has a contact number 10, but the schematic shows only the 3 position switch as having a contact number 10. Hence my uncertainty.

Here are my pictures. A couple of ring in wires (in red) I have not traced but otherwise looks as it should be with original loom. Paul

This photo is of my Mark 2 dashboard with fog lights.
It was rewired with a new Autosparks harness. The only non-standard features are a voltmeter in place of the ammeter and an LED strip to illuminate the switch indicator strip.

BESM Boston MA

My mistake! I should have stated branch. what colour
wires are in this branch? diag not clear so>
1 no connection
2 Green to fuse 3 +yellow/purple to control switch
3 Red/Black to fuse 6
4 Black/Red to O/D warning lamp
5 Brown/White to Amm
6 Red/ Yellow to fog
7 Blue to Dip switch
I will post diag if needed, it includes steering lock, alternator
and other alternatives.
Peter B

I have just found what I believe to be a photo of an original unmodified panel from a 1962 Mk 2

BESM Boston MA

Forgot to state resistor between 2 and 4

Andrew.
Re light switch. The S type 4 position switch is numbered 1 to 7.
The MK11 and 3.8/4.2E 4 pos are 1 2 4 8 10 12 13.
MK1 is 3 7 8 10 11 13
You have?

I have sketches at home and details on this conversion if you still need it. I recall there were two variations on the wiring. I successfully converted mine from three to four position a few months ago. Speak out if it will help.

My switch has a 10 (not sure about the other numbers - the instrument panel is now in, so it’s a bit difficult to see clearly).

I’ll just ring the terminals out - it is a 4 position switch, so it’s going to have one terminal each for side, head and fog, then there’s just the resistor (which was installed when I sourced the switch) so that would be self evident.

Andrew.
Assume MK11 so>
1 no connection,
2 Red/Black O/D warning lamp,
4 Red side/tail, via fuse 7 S
8 Brown/white B connection at current control, direct MK11 via amm S,
10 Green to A4 MK11 fuse 3 S + Yellow/purple to O/D switch,
12 Red/Yellow fog
13 Blue dip switch
Resistor 2-10
Does the loom include the plastic inline fuse for the O/D?
If the branch in question is Yellow/Yellow purple perhaps for this!
assuming you have the Y/YP at the control switch.
Correct switch may simplify.

Peter,

The wires are all there at the switch location, and yes the new loom does include the inline fuse for the O/D, but not the sub harness for the HRW relay (which also has a fuse).

On the HRW: How do the wires get from the harness to the window? I had a quick look at the hatshelf and I don’t see any grommet holes. I think the wires end up in the boot part of the loom, so they need to go back into the cabin somehow.

Andrew.
There should be a single Black/White with bullet end, in the boot near the wheelarch. Cannot remember l or r. The other side from screen to earth via
a snap connection to a eye and fixing bolt. The relay is just for the dash switch warning light (if fitted) not the screen. Relay is wired thus-
White from fuse 4 > inline fuse>Black/white>Window control>B/W>C2>B/W to screen. C1 Red/Brown>warning light>earth. Red from sidelight to W1,
W2 to earth. If your car is the “Economy” model ie no spots with “Ambla” interior was a heated screen fitted? I think the wires from screen go through
the rear shelf via small grommets,