Headliner contemplation

After a year. I still can’t decide what to do about a new headliner…buy new. …invent a different system…???mine disintegrated. …if i had a good pattern. I could produce a new one with different material maybe

It’s difficult to bring oneself to pay good money for a piece of cardboard.

I did my head liner. too and the pressed fiberglass board came out in pieces several pieces. What I did was assemble the pieces take a cotton linen I got at a fabric store non stretchy kind. Flexing not permitted. then used headliner adhesive; the spray on kind. then adhered the cotton linen to the fiber board making an exoskeleton to the fiber board pieces. worked like a champ. Thickness does play a role so only one layer on each side was permitted. If I did it over again, I’d probably use a resin and fiber glass instead.

I then attached the headliner material I got from PaulsJaguar.com It’s a bit spendy at the time it was about $300.00 for enough to do two head liners. That’s fine I used bits and pieces to re-line the junk holder pockets on the doors too.

It was fiddley but it worked great the end result was perfect. Oh, this was done outside of the car and carefully wrestled the fiber board out of the car via the passenger side with the front seats out.

There is or was a posting on the forum about somebody who made a fiberglass replacement.

Thats it…right on the nail…too costly…mine just crumbled like a jigsaw puzzle…would rather go without than fuss and mess of fibreglassing it…I still believe there must be some ingenious way to make something

Well… you can do like it was done in the XJ Saloons make it out of cardboard. That too has its limitations; particularly moisture. I suppose get a really big sheet of thin plastic and cut out the holes and bend it to fit. Forming the dimples for the visors can be done using hot sand bags along with a properly formed wood buck.Then lay bags of hot sand to melt the plastic into shape. Then screw it in the appropriate holes, Use a dab of silicon on the back to stick it to the roof of the XJ-S It would probably hold better than the OE double sided tape which was originally used (at least on mine). I know I’ve got pictures of videos of this debacle someplace…

plastic sheeting options

It would be much easier to pickup some linen at a fabric store and glew it into place. it’s not that tough. If you’re careful, the fiber board comes out in only one or two pieces. the tricky part is around the holes near the windscreen for the visors. it’s very flimsy in the corners and is easily broken. That is where most of my reconstruction took place. the rest of the fabric was just to hold it together (better).

Also, the benefits of using a fibrous material is sound deadening. not only do you have the headliner, but the compressed pressed fiber board does a great job at keeping the noise out of the car.