Headliner.. modification

I asked some time ago about alternative headliner for a coupe…
not the fuzzy material but since my shell disintegrated… I am asking for ideas other than an original shell… to install a headliner… any ideas… I realize that the hardest part would be around sun visors and mirror… thought of conventional like metal rods… or foam pieces placed next to each other… has anyone tackled this in a different way?

This is an alternative with a fiberglass backing for the headliner, instead of the stock backing. While not cheap, its about what an upholstery shop would charge if your backing was good.

The stock backing is junk. I managed to get one out in one piece, then coated it with laminationg epoxy. It took a LOT of epoxy. If i did it again, I’d go with this option.https://www.ebay.com/itm/171324318629?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hTtxLMpYSay&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Z_B_yX6WRIS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I had the same issue my head liner backing had fallen apart. Tried to save with fiber glass around the edges but didn’t work. So I got rid of it and applied a layer of approx 1/8" dyna mat type product. Just to the sheet metal roof. Then went over that with another layer approx 1/4" same type product. This layer I went out to the door frame area to blend the surface. Next headliner adhesive to glue new headliner directly to insulation mat. Rolled on each step to assure good adhesion. Trim pieces went back in original locations fine. Rear view mirror looks good. I have not mounted my sun visors because I live in Florida and have window tinting to take care of that. I don’t see any issue if you were to install them though.
The interior is cooler and much more quite. Have had car in the sun and so far no issues with insulation sagging. Will send some pics.

Scrimbo,

You’ve asked the question and received the answer. How many times you’ll need to ‘restore’ your headliner to finally get it. This is the only way forward with incest between British engineer and his goldfish, on the bed with Union Jack lining:

The first layer was the gray. The second was the x mat. Then I cut 3 or 4" wide strips to blend from roof to structural steel of roof. This blended the surface for head liner.

1 Like

interesting and lots of ingenuity… has anybody else tried something different…? . I wondered about the vinyl sheeting used for wall covering… if I had a roof from a wrecked xjs… I could turn it upside down and heat form a shell so it would go around the various curves up front… there are many possibilities I suppose…

I purchased a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" (pvc, puv, xyz, acb, some dam sh…) thinking I would lay this material on my sad headliner and replicate the basic structure. After apply heat (commercial heat gun) the material did relax but did not conform to inside bends. To move to a thinner material it might take shape but then have no structural integrity to mount headliner. So (I said to self) what would the Brits do. After a couple cool refreshing beverages. I figured if they could try and screw this beautiful car up and get paid for it, I could do better. Thus the delete of head liner board stuff.

Search archives for me, there’s a place in the UK that uses factory colors (light brown or grey) over fiberglass. Shipping wasn’t crazy. It fit fine and i really like it.

Only issue was first summer, parking in sun smelled like glue, but its gone now.

so how did you attach the cloth

3m headliner adhesive. Applying material was a challenge but take your time. A few pieces of masking tape to locate center line of head liner material and roof. Then spray center line of roof and fabric front to back. Once you get fabric applied down center work out left to right spraying and rolling.