Headliner - Sun visors rear view mirror strip - shape

Hi all,

I can not find the metal strip in the boxes I got when I bought my Series 2 , 2+2 (see status of car when I bought him/her.

Does anybody have a (pdf) file with the dimensions, so I can make it from foam/metal?

And how does the headliner attach to the front part of the panel, where it “connects” with the front window?

All the best,

Bart

1 Like

Bart;
Here are some photos of the area you might be looking for. The headliner on a 2+2 is glued to a piece ofstiff fiber board like a piece of fiberglass mesh that is pressed together. It is hard to get out of the car without tearing it. some discard it and glue the foam and cloth directly to the metal roof.
1-2013-01-008
![2-2013-10-17 10.06.37|640x480](upload://e5tlbmzfbnVScPNLcJqlZTFfoaI.jpeg
2-2013-10-17 10.06.37
This is the piece of metal that fits above the windshield and the sun visors attach to it.
Good luck with your endeavor

Regards, Joel…

1 Like

Joel,

Thanks.

10 min after your post … I found it … !!! Was behing a stack of boxes

:wink:

Bart

1 Like

You sure the b post panels aren’t hiding in the same place ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

Hahahaha …

:wink:

PS already made progress

3 Likes

I found this post searching for information on how to attach the front strip across the windscreen to the car structure. I have a 1968 2+2 and it came without a headliner installed. What holds that black piece to the car? Just the sun visor bases? My car has the rear view mirror glued to the windshield. There are matching holes for the 3 screws for a center mounted rearview mirror, but with no rear view mirror there would be exposed screw heads?

Some photos of the piece and the car structure.

Thanks

Hi Mark
Yep that is held in place by the sun visor fittings.

The car did not have a mirror attached to the 3 holes for the earlier model still in the bodywork…however you will note that there are no captive nuts .

I changed mine and used rivnuts in the body head rail to now have an earlier model fit there rather than the stick on mirror …it also helps with the fitting of the headliner cover.

I’m only surmising here because I only have experience with the FHC which I have done, but if the piece is held in place by the visor brackets, how can it be upholstered?

On the FHC, the piece (mine was actually 3 pieces) is pop riveted to the metal frame over the windshield. Then it is covered with foam and the wool material. When that is done, the visor brackets can go on.

I see how you did it I did headlining first and put the upholstered screen bit over the top of the corner

Clive
The trim piece has two triangular cutouts where the base of the visors locate and the holes expose two captive nuts on each side that are on the body structure itself. Thus is can be covered and installed as a separate piece.

It is manufactured to also support a review mirror in the center, with 3 holes in the trim piece and three holes in the roof structure with a metal plate with 3 threaded holes located behind the roof structure in place of captive nuts.
As this is a '68 series 1.5, I am assuming the trim piece stayed the same as earlier years with the roof mounted rear view mirror vice the later windscreen mounting, as mine has.

Hi, and thanks. Hmmmm, this car has the threaded plate behind the roof structure. It has two short screws holding the plate to the roof structure. Either from the factory or added by some PO.
I dislike the idea of not having some attachment point in the center.
So, I think I will use two of the holes in the trim piece to install two of these retaining clips.

I will carefully have to make matching holes in the roof structure.
I thought about using one or more of the mirror mounting holes, but this car has the plate and I don’t want it loose rattling around and don’t think I can get it out from behind now that the headliner is installed.
If I find these spring clips to short, I may go to a modern christmas tree plastic nail type.

Ah yes they will do the job I didn’t bother with them because I had the mirror to hold the trim in place as well