Headliner trim foam question

'68 S1.5 2+2, my question is the amount of area covered by foam sheet above the cantrails. Does the foam hold short of going under the cantrail, or does the foam extend below the area covered by the cantrail?

Also is the foam glued to the edge where the red marker is pointing and bend down and glue to the flat area below the bend?

Thanks

On my S2 coupe (Aug. 69), the headliner material was backed with foam, all in one. I marked the center points across the front, back and sides on the car and on the headliner. The ‘excess’ headliner was tucked down behind that edge. IIRC, there was unbacked headliner material that rolled up and over that edge. I pressed it in place with a putty knife.

Yes, I understand and that part is complete.
My questions deal with covering the trim around the perimeter.

Take this with a grain of salt since my car is an early 65 FHC, but I am in the process of covering this area as we speak. I elected to run the foam around the sides and rear as shown and then trim to 45 deg bevel at the edge near the headliner.

Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny.
Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

Ok, so you have the headliner in. Again, IIRC, there were ‘teeth’ along that top edge? Something that grabbed/held the fabric? Got it started along that top edge and then working from the centers out to the sides, pulled it and glued it. I think the cantrails cover the raw edges of fabric.

I re-read your question. I think it depends on how thick the foam is going under the cantrail. The cantrails are held on with tiny screws. If the resulting thickness is too much for the screws to get their grip, that may help you decide. IMO, the resulting ‘edge’ may be visible, and I think the ‘padded look’ appears better. Put the foam in, press down on the cantrail and see if you can get a screw started.

Valarie is correct ……attach the foam where you indicated with the red pen ….so then as the fabric is stretched over it it will form a nice base to push the cant rail up to for a nice finish