Heated screen switch

Hi all, I have a 96 XJR with heated windscreen. The centre console doesn’t have a separate switch(only defrost & rear screen) and I’m wondering if PO has changed heater controls as the handbook shows an extra switch.
TIA

yes, or a heated screen has been fitted and not connected up

Hi Andy, thanks for your input. I’ve checked the fuse box and both fuses are in place. When I changed the clock the plastic mounting panel was in poor condition so it has been out before. I’ll look out for a second hand panel.
Rod

Perhaps the PO had the screen fitted and didn’t realise that he also required a centre console that had the switch installed!

We’ll know soon enough, I’ve ordered a heater control panel with the extra switch, fingers crossed.

Okay, the upshot of this escapade is that someone has fitted a heated screen (and that’s it) and then cut the wires short. There is no harness or relays. I had changed the heater control panel for one with the front screen switch in the hope that it was the problem. If I can find the harness and relays I may be able to lengthen the cut wires and get it working before next winter.

If you can find the harness and relays fine, if not I would “jerry rig” the circuitry via a fuse and the switch, if you look at Radio shack or similar you may be able to source a solid state relay with a timer function to switch it off after a suitable period of time.

First thing is to see if its possible to attached onto the windscreen wires, and test it to see if it draws a decent current (i.e you get a bit of a spark)

These are great, (if required) a 70A relay and 4 minute timer in the same package. (built for the job)

Exactly what I was thinking about but too idle to find Andy.