Help to identify XJ6 image source

Dear Jaguar lovers,

My name is Alexander Myshkin, I am a Russian automotive enthusiast interested in youngtimers of 80’s and 90’s. One of my interests is car bubble gum inserts of the 80’s, sources of which I try to identify. One of them is Jaguar XJ6 (most likely Vanden Plas)

I have found your community while I was searching for information about XJ6, and joined it specially to get in touch with you. And I believe you are one of world experts in old Jaguars.

Could you please assist me in defining of the attached image source? Most likely it is a rare advertisement or sketch in some magazine of the 80’s (1981-1985, because this collectible item was issued in 1986)
I would be extremely thankful for any ideas or links.

Sorry if you consider this as offtop or if I violate any of forum rules.

Thank you very much, and have a great day!

You are welcome to visit our website in Russian dedicated to bubble gum car inserts, youngtimers, automotive design and automotive heritage of 80’s and 90’s: www.societeturbo.com

Best regards,
Alexander

1 Like

Hello Alexander
To be precise, the vehicle on your photo is actually a Daimler, not a Jaguar. Though the two models share the same body style, the grille on your photo is definitely that of a Daimler, not the Jaguar XJ6

The left text is in Turkish so I think you will have no luck around here. Try a Turkish car site but…

The top speed of 220 is interesting as mine is slower. So it might have had a 2.88 final drive for the Turkish market. Who knows. It definitely is a top-of-the-line, Daimler 4.2 with some options (headlight wipers, rims. Not much more information about the source or publication date, 81-85 seems right.

Alexander,

if it was just some kind of “collector’s card” for kids - as you’re talking bubble gum inserts - that would explain the mistake (Jaguar for Daimler - if you take a close look at the front car plate it might even read “Daimler” in the characteristic style … or be characters of an arabic language) and the bragging max speed (wikipedia cites 209 kph). Even equipped with rare five speed gearbox I don’t believe a SIII six cylinder was ever measured to that top speed.

As for the provenance I’m with David with respect to language - it’s turkish for sure. The time frame should be anything between 1979 and 1986. If you run through official sales brochures (many of them on our old site <jag-lovers.org>) you might even find the picture.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thank you so much for feedback, Gentlemen!
Really delighted to receive it. You are right, it is a Turkish bubble gum, and I would not pay any attention to description and characteristics - they made a lot of mistakes and mixed them. What is important is that you identified the car as Daimler, so i will search for it now instead of Jaguar. What for the number plate - it is difficult to recognize what is there, but I believed, judging by the font style that it was something like “Vanden P” - the Turks could cut a part of image, they often did. However, you may be right, and it is really “Daimler” on the bumper.
Considering brochures - I have studied all kinds of brochures which I could only find on all resources, including this site, but nothing of that kind was found. That’s why I applied to you in forum. Most likely it is a picture from some magazine ad or rear brochure and maybe someone has ideas which one. Unfortunately there are not so many magazine scans available in the Web. I am fully sure it is not an art of the publishers of this card. What they could do is only to copy it from some brochure or magazine (what they did with many other pictures - sources of 40 pictures out of 50 from this series I have already found).
I had some doubts that it is a collage with different background, but curtains and window frames are clearly seen through the car windows.
I even applied to Blenheim palace, because I thought that it could be somehow related to this picture as a place of Jaguar fest, but their representatives answered that there is no room with such interiors there and that a Jaguar could not drive through the narrow doors (they had some requests for car photo sessions inside the palace rooms but couldn’t meet them due to door size).
So I tried all possible ways, and what I only have now is to look for ebay in hope to find it by good luck in some magazine. I would certainly buy it if I only knew which magazine it was and which date :sleepy:
Maybe some of you have a rich collection of Jaguar related articles and press photos to look through? That’s what I can hope for…
Anyway even if we don’t find anything relevant, I am happy to be here as a Jaguar fan! I am planning to write a book about those 80’s collectibles and would be happy if some of you would allow to use photos of your Series III (exterior, interior, engine…). The idea is to show the collectible item and the real car from our time which match it.
Thank you all, and have a good day!
Alex

1 Like

Yeah, I think that was faked.

‘Sovereign’ style rear headrests shown in the photo would only have been available in 1983 or 84 models onward.

Great! We are closer to uncover the mystery of this Daimler. So this is Double-Six of 1983 or 1984 model year, right?

Not double six if you believe the data: the Daimlers came in 6-and 12 cylinder variants, so we have narrowed it down to likely a 1983-84 Daimler 4.2 litre.
I’m not sure if the photos on xj6data.com are copyrighted? You’d need a red one…

Well, OK then. We search 1983-84 Daimler 4.2 litre.
Regarding photos - we will find for sure. Color doesn’t matter, I will need only the same car model.
For sure in the book we will use photos upon license or permission of the owner