Hess & Eisenhardt rear window motors

Hey guys… I am looking for a rear driverside window motor for my 1988 jag xjs h&e and was wondering if anyone knew what type/part # motor it is given it’s was a custom piece from the conversation and not stock jag piece

Thanks, Aaron

Posting ‘Driver’s side or Passenger’s side’ on an International forum can get you incorrect info or parts!!!

What driver’s side??? Right or Left???

bob

Sorry, I didn’t realize the 1986-88 H&E conversations could have a right-side driver given it wouldn’t be legal in the US. Left-side driver, make/model # rear corner window motor… thanks!

A:

Is an autocorrect feature messing with your posts?

Conversion, not conversation ?

Yeah, I try to stick to right and left unless I specify LHD or RHD.

Can you examine the motor carefully for any decal or indentation that might ID the original manufacturer.

I suspect that somewhere they were or even are
an off the shelf item rather than one made custom to spec’s.

Carl

Haha yeah sorry, autocorrect… H&E Conversion. Yes, I am having difficultly finding part numbers for the H&E specific parts, given the plant in Ohio burned down and current information is parse. I have have attached a few pictures. The motor I am looking for has a FLAT back and not the rounded rear like on the front motors… Given this wasn’t from factory, the 89’ convertible rear motors are also different!

The plug

The front window motors… so the rear is flat and not rounded like these

Sorry abt the multiple posts, the site won’t let me attach more than 1pic at a time… as you can see from the relay packs, the entire factory wiring harness has been trashed for a custom one. I will start a thread in the lumped thread at some point detailing my entire build as this site has been instrumental in helping me along the way. Just turned the engine over for the 1st time abt an hr ago!! Still have a long way to go before she is road worthy however it is nice to see a light at the end of the decade long rebuild tunnel… lol

About that light at the end of the tunnel…

It’s just a guy with a flashlight bringing more work…

2 Likes

Or the head light of a locomotive coming on at full throttle.

Carl

1 Like

I don’t understand the shape you’re trying to describe, but why don’t you scan down photos of window motors and see if any look similar?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AVNG_enUS695US696&biw=1280&bih=931&tbm=shop&ei=VCkbWuSaGLGT_QbG57LIBw&q=Window+motors&oq=Window+motors&gs_l=psy-ab.3...23580.23580.0.23917.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0…0…1c.1.64.psy-ab…1.0.0…0.5xZXOs73Rno

…or perhaps just something that will work, seeing as how yours looks like a fairly common 3-bolt mount surrounding a drive gear. For example, the ones described as fitting a Dodge Mirada (whatever that is) look like they might bolt up to your regulator if the bolt spacing and gear teeth are correct:

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/acdelco-11m115-power-window-motor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6e9kJDd1wIVSCSBCh0u4AQVEAkYFCABEgJuKfD_BwE&fit_id=4813&Year=1983&Make=Dodge&Model=Mirada&gsID=pxf499668f4813&

Hi Aaron

Have you found the correct motors? Just opened my left side and the motor of the quarter window looks very good inside (appart the seals that I will have to ask somebody to made for me).

Unfortunately the type of motor is unreadable due to rust.

Best,

Dorin

That front motor is a Chrysler part, the letters are for Chrysler/Plymouth/Desoto/ Dodge- looks like from the 60s or 70s. Also looks like a Chrysler part number.
Rear looks like a Delco/GM part, connector does also. Autozone has Chinese replacements for $35. Part number to try is 742-150

1 Like

Yes… according to some research done and posted on FB, the rear quarter regulator motor (88 at least) is from a 1978 Chrysler:

Brand: Chrysler
Placement on Vehicle: Right, Front Window Motor
Manufacturer Part Number: 4354838
Interchange Part Number: 42-44, 82-44, 42-42
Other Part Number: CH11R-N

Paul K.

2 Likes

That looks exactly like the one zip-wrapped together in the photo above except the number 2520902 cast into the housing. It’s 2520903 on the one in the photo. I wonder what difference that makes.

Still, excellent find! Now, if only we could get similar crossover info on the various front window motors!

Left vs Right?? Dunno.

Wouldn’t the front regulators be regular Jaguar ones?

The front motors look like 1000’s of others with a sort of Denso design… and I’m pretty sure the motor ends with a “D” drive shaft… making many many motors a bolt-on option… the issue would be the plastic gearing inside the housing.

Paul K.

Now that you mention it, one does appear to be a mirror image of the other!

Well… maybe it’s another bullet point for The Book … if you’re still working up revisions ever so often that is…

BTW as an aside… that weird thing you had with the horn wiring I think? … in “The Book”… … that exactly matched a problem some guy on FB was having and got him squared away…

~Paul K.

I guess there are two items to discuss: The motors and the regulators. It’s a dead certainty Jaguar didn’t make their own motors. I think there were three different generations of window motors in this car: a round-case Delco, a square-case Delco, and a Bosch. Presumably all three motors can be found in a variety of cars, hopefully some fairly common and reasonably-priced models. But I don’t recall anyone ever posting any actual part numbers or make and model of the cars the motor fits.

Oh, and I think the convertibles use different motors.

The regulators, I suppose, could actually be unique to Jaguar. I wouldn’t have done things that way; they got their transmission from GM, their diff from Salisbury, why would they manufacture their own window regulators? Still, a casual review of the offerings online would seem to indicate there are scads of window regulators out there, possibly indicating they generally must be designed to fit the car. I dunno why; they just run a window up and down. I’d think it wouldn’t be too hard to find an existing regulator that would work.

Where does the motor end and the regulator begin? Looking over the parts online, it seems the “motor” generally includes the gear turned by the screw on the motor shaft. The regulator begins with the arm with a toothed arc that is driven by the gear on the motor assembly.

A lot of those motor assemblies seem to be plastic nowadays – but the actual electric motor, with its rectangular case, doesn’t look all that different. I’m kinda wondering how difficult it might be to toss a shot motor, steal a new motor off a new motor assembly from some other model, and reassemble the Jaguar motor assembly with the new armature and magnet case. I found a pair of genuine Jaguar window motors online, and if their price is any indication, I should go into business doing such repairs! You’da thought those motors were made of solid gold!

Anybody have a shot window motor they’d be willing to send to me for tinkering?

I guess it kind of depends on if the motor interface looks like

This:

Or this:

Or in between like this:

I’m SURE another motor would fit… but it would take some looking.

Being a M Engineer you COULD make some rare side-change by copying the plastic gears in a CAD model & uploading them to Thingaverse so folks could just 3D print them and have them delivered to their door. :smiley:

~Paul K

1 Like