Hockey stick "toe" S1

OK,
I am at a loss. What makes the lower “toes” section of the hockey sticks…STICK to the car? There isn’t enough gasket to hold it. Is the toe supposed to point at the lower edge of the gasket? Pic:

Given their shape, if they are unbent and installed correctly, they will naturally lay flush on the windscreen gasket. If they don’t it’s time for a bit of tweaking.

I’ve been tweaking them for a week just to get this close. Other side is worse.

Bill, some use contact cement to glue it tight against the windshield rubber.
The fact that you are now working at the bottom, does that mean you got the top to fit okay? I hope you did, if so, how did you get it to fit?
Tom

1. not sure they fit. Maybe left. Right is impossible to put in car and still be able to screw the caps screws in. Any miniscule mis alignment prevents the screws from going more than 1/2 way in.

2. How do I hold it in place while the glue dries.

3. applying cement would require taking item off car again.

From your photo, I would think contact cement could be squirted under the part, spread and allowed to set. Then when ready pressing them together should hold them instantly.
Some how you need to determine why the miss fit.
Tom

Bill,

I haven’t gotten to this point yet but when I do, I was planning to use a device like this to hold trim in place using a suction cup on the windshield to anchor a clamp to the trim. I might have heard about it from @alodmd. Here’s a SS. Can’t seem to post the link for some reason.

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

1 Like

That’s where you use the blob of 3m trim cement I mentioned. Push it in and tape with gaffer tape. You also could also further crease the 90 degree bend in the part but you run the risk of cracking the chrome.

You can also get a bit more flap coverage by shoving a thin rubber strip down in between the glass and the seal. Push it down far enough so the top of the seal moves back against the glass to keep out water. It doesn’t buy you a ton, maybe 1-2mm, but it’s significant improvement. Unfortunately it looks like you already put silicone in there. That shouldn’t be necessary.

remind me. 3M weatherstrip adhesive or Emblem and badge Adhesive?

It seemed to be a list consensus that clear windshield adhesive be applied after the WS was inserted in the gasket. WS doesn’t go in all that deep.

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a tube of the latter, so it must be the former,very strong stuff

3M weatherstrip adhesive is the contact cement that I use. The black is less obnoxious than the yellow when oozes out. When used as directed, it should not really need clamped.
Tom

The Left post cap is seated. The RH is on and just about .020 eyeball inches from bottoming on that little tricky notch with the freaking tiny step.

I spent actual >days< heating them with a heat gun. Holding it with sheet metal vise grips padded with some rubber on the chrome side and bending it .010 at a time with padded jaw pliers. I just did the top inch. Got a pretty good curve on it. But it wasn’t enough. There was kind of a hump in the middle. It still wouldn’t go in the cap and sit in the recess well enough for me to get the top cap screws home. Today I used the narrowest cutting wheel in my dreml box to put a notch behind the 90 degree bend (which is not 90 degrees and is a curve not a bend) at windshield post end. Then I did the pliers thing and tried to bend the very top of the outside edge back towards the inside of the car. Should have done that sooner. The notch was only about 1/8 by 1/8 and wont show from under the windshield cap. One of the problems doing something so many times is…you’re going to screw up. sure enough…On the last time I put the rubber strip on the bad side instead of protecting the outside pretty side put an inch scratch on it.

It’s still not exactly right but I am not taking it off for another go. Might not get it back on. Tomorrow the Amazon will deliver a couple of those suction things and I’ll try to glue the toe sections on.

Now I find that the chromer who said he wasn’t going to touch the center tab for the mirror support which was obviously bent…did in fact straighten it…so now the mirror rod boss can’t be attached with the horizontal “wedge screws”. At the same time he didn’t strighten the RH side of the chrome at the WS post and that was part of the problem as it’s in a little to far and up a tad relative to the WS

Here’s hoping I finish the last bits and you don’t have to do any of this.

Ahh … Bill. We have different stories, but written by the same author. A rascally fellow if there every was one. Bill something was his name.

Someday you’ll think back: I love this car, but what a pain in the arse!

It’s worse than a wife. Takes all your money like a wife but a wife is only a pain in the ass sometimes.

the important thing is your wife continues to let you work on the beast! Oh what promises have you made??? :slight_smile:

Rick, those clamps work great for holding trim pieces on the hockey sticks and the windshield trim on coupes or rear hatch, along with trim adhesive.

Best Regards,
Allen

I have to report the 3 M black did not hold the hockey toes. Now trying some butyl putty stuff.

Did you rough up both surfaces first, then spread a coat of 3M on both surfaces. Let dry as per directions- usually at least 15 minutes, then press together? The clamps should not be needed. Or is the metal just sprung in such a way that it will be almost impossible to hold with glue?
Tom

I couldn’t take them off and apply it I used a q tip put it in, waited and applied the clamp. Don’t forget at the edge of the toe it’s laying on rubber gasket not metal