Hood (Top) Material

What is the closest material to the factory vinyl used for the top on a 67 E-Type OTS?

What experiences have you hade with the various suppliers?

Herb

Copied from Judging Guide for Series I XKEs

{ADMINS: Let me know if this is an inappropriate posting of info - I’m not sure and will delete ASAP if so informed}

Canvas possible through the early 1967 model year - at this point in time there are no numbers available when the change to vinyl occurred. As a point of information, on 1E15336, still in possession of the original owner and with its original top, the material is vinyl - non-zip rear window - chrome strip at lower back retains 4-chrome clips for top cover - clips may not be present on earliest cars - slotted screws retaining chrome trim at bottom of top.

TOP COLORS
Canvas - Black, blue, fawn, French grey, gunmetal, sand (Memo from Jaguar Cars Inc. 11-64) courtesy of Karen Miller Jaguar Archives USA. This MAY or MAY NOT cover earlier cars or ALL later cars with a canvas top.

Vinyl - Black, Grey, fawn, dark blue - (Booklet - Hood material patterns for E-Type Two-seater Jaguar Cars LTD Coventry, England June, 1967 - courtesy of Mike Cook Jaguar Archives USA) This MAY or MAY NOT cover earlier cars with a vinyl top

The original top on my 67 OTS was vinyl. I know that because I have the original top.

What I do not know is who’s vinyl (Haartz or Everflex) is the best match to the original vinyl pattern.

Herb

You can get small samples of different products from World Upholstery in Santa Paula, CA. It’s nice to be able to compare and touch the product. I believe there is a fee associated.
https://worlduph.com/samples/index.htm

** No affiliation but a satisfied Customer **

Herb … my understanding was that it was everflex

I’m unaware of any Haartz material that is strictly called vinyl.