Hoovie gets a Jag

It is like everything else

Roger Maris vs Aaron Judge. Who is better…?

He’s a hoot. So warm and unpretentious, and he knows how to have fun. I’ve been watching his vids for years.

Doesn’t take himself too seriously. I laughed when I saw him doing spinnies in the E-Type. Sacrilegious! Deserves all the success he gets.

2 Likes

Yep your correct…. This car will have a 3.54 diff which is great for burnouts……but lousy for long trips …… no wonder he wants to leave the patina as is !..… those rust areas shown are just the tip of the iceberg I think …… ….if he starts to poke and prod I’ll bet it will need a complete body resto…… mind you at his buying price it’s still a good starting point …… which brings me to my next thought ……. Are you best to buy a car like that ….or one that is obviously rusted…… the difference in resto costs will make up the difference in initial purchase price probably………. For me I’d rather know …but for others ?

Danny,

I’m with you on this. That bubbling paint on the sills and elsewhere is a sure sign of nothing nice (or even nothing at all but newspaper and chicken wire) underneath. If you start probing to determine the extent of the problem you could quickly be finding your car off the road for a year or more. I know I’m not the only one…

3 Likes

When he pointed that out the rust without much of a concern I thought to myself: you poor clueless bastard….

4 Likes

Hi Danny. I’d love to come down to see you one day - maybe this summer?

It won’t be in an E, but in one of my two toys! I think I’ll wait and get one that’s well restored, but not so pristine that I’d be worried to drive it. I will rule out any 2+2 or Series 3.

Hoovie knows that car is pretty down at heel, but he doesn’t care. I wouldn’t buy it though.

1 Like

Sure no worries Tom I wouldn’t touch a series 3 either…. I like the shape but not the v12

And there is…a little bit of rust

I wonder if that sill flaps in the wind when he does burnouts? Did he say somewhere how much this cost? I’m sure there is a price at which it made perfect sense. I couldn’t hazard a guess what that is. He should probably find a way to relocate that battery to a place that can take the weight of it.

1 Like

I think he said $69K.

1 Like

A decent price I believe, especially if the car is correct with all the proper bits.

Thats close to fair in my view.

A little too much YouTube Kool-Aid
Enzo
266 hp
150 mph
Early cars had no synchros
E-Type drivers are really rare
Burnouts on old tires
Ect

But we all start there. Good for him.

2 Likes

Nice to know there’s a youngster who has an interest in these cars. Most of us are older than dirt.

1 Like

Hey!!!

Unlike you, I am still in the process of induration.

:wink:

“A little bubbling on the door, which just adds more to the character of the car.” And then there’s that “little bit of rust on the sills…”

He thinks he got a deal at $70k, but the seller was truly smiling on the way to the bank.

And, good lord, he didn’t read the instruction tag on the hood, and lowered it over those wonderful vinyl seats!

1 Like

So in his latest video Hoovie discovers he has a really bad oil leak from the rear main seal. Wizard speculates “a couple grand” if a sneaky pete doesn’t work and he has to ‘pull the transmission’. Wait until he discovers it’s an engine-out procedure. It is entertaining to see young guys having to resort to a paper workshop manual. My bet is the Wizard passes on doing the job.

3 Likes

Me too plus 20 characters……. These guys are either absolutely naive or are just taking the piss to entertain us ….I suspect the latter ….

1 Like

Lol, agreed!

At present, my plan is to bequeath my early 1967 S1 OTS to my millennial son. He almost “gets it,” but I’m forwarding this video to him because it details all that’s wrong with today’s “Nextgen” E-Type collectors. Their lack of knowledge of the aspects that make these cars superlative causes so much misery when those features are ignored and left to rot.

Doug Demuro refers to his YouTube channel as “The dumbest automotive show on the internet.”

It’s his brand.

I remember some years ago, Top Gear compared an E Type to a Honda Civic or Accord or some such, in acceleration, with the Honda JUST pipping the Jag, but I don’t think they ever specified over what distance, 1\4 mile, nought to X or whatever, so you couldn’t really draw any conclusion. Next day at the service station, some guy came up to me and told me how a Honda was faster than my E Type. I asked him if he was now going to go up to every Honda owner he saw and congratulate them on having a super quick car. I think the sarcasm was lost on him.

2 Likes

For your viewing pleasure: Everything wrong with the Cheapest E Type Jaguar S1 roadster, with the WORST OIL LEAK EVER! - YouTube
He’s taken the car to the Car Wizard and I think the ‘Wizard’ is going to find himself in the land of OZ.
He thinks he’s going to be able to use a ‘snake’ to change the rear seal, boy is he in for a surprise… to his credit he decided not to use a 2 post lift on it.
Cheers,
Lynn

1 Like