How does the pad under the dash get held in place?

On my 78 S2, the black padded part that goes under the dash on the driver’s side (BD42732 on mine as it’s LHD) is screwed in place on the outer edge but not the inner edge where it meets the side of the console.

It’s always flopping down at that side. Just an inch or two but it’s annoying. Is there supposed to be a screw there somewhere? I can’t see anywhere obvious in my pad where there should be a screw at that end.

Thanks.

David

There could be a molded thing that Clips into the steel toungue at the forward part and there could be a screw somewhere at the top edge. If I were you I‘d pull it off and investigate. It might have slipped off, then you have to R&R it anyways. It should not sag…
David

David,

there is no screw on the inner console side of the underscuttle panel. It is just “hinged” in and then fixed at the rear trailing edge (i.e. the knee panel) and then tightened with I think three screws close to the door. The last part is a bit tricky as two of the screws hold part 8D.42730/42806 simultaneously.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks, Jochen. I can’t picture what you mean by this bit about fixed at the rear edge. I’ll take a look at the car tomorrow and see if I can figure it out.

David

On mine, that piece you speak of is held in place on the right side by tucking it up and behind the black piece that holds the middle gages and above the black piece that contains the heat vent on the left side of the inner consol. No screws involved.

I’ll have a go at it today and see if I can get it to lodge there.

David

I’m not sure what is going on but there’s no way I can get the console end of the panel to reach in over the console side panel and thus be supported by it. Possibly my under-dash panel is warped and thus shortened a bit but I think I may have to resort to attaching a small ledge to the console side panel for the under-dash panel to rest upon.

David

David,

I tried to scribble into the ROM picture to be clearer.

Hope this helps. I don’t think that any panel can shrink or warp sufficiently not to be mountable any more. Maybe you start - just for an attempt - finding the screw holes in the outer metal carrier and aligning them with the outer edge of the underscuttle casing. Then it is quite clear where the trailing edge at the rear side belongs behind the knee panel.

Then you just do it the other way round and begin by manoevring the underscuttle casing around the handbrake mechanism and just “hinge” (for lack of any better expression) the inner edge of the casing above the upper edge of the center console cheek panel. Then guide the rear edge left and right of the steering column behind the knee pads. Finally push the outer edge upwards until you find your way to the screw holes in the metal carrier. Before you fix these screws you first have to put in place the upper quarter casing until the screw holes of the underscuttle casing, of the quarter casing and the metal carrier align. Now put in the screws.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks, Jochen. I didn’t get chance to look again this morning and now it’s too hot and humid to work in the garage. I’ll try to get in there tomorrow or Thursday morning.

David

OK, Jochen, I got to this today and the underdash panel is now supported. The only way I got it to work in the end was to bend the console cheek panel outwards a bit at the top so the underdash panel can rest on it.

It’s pretty precariously perched on there. I hope it stays up.

Thanks for the help.

David